Independent Comic book figures

GDomino

It's a dry month for robot collecting for me, so I impulsively bought this series when I saw them at Walmart.

dsc00617jd9.jpg

Toybiz (known for their Marvel Legends figures), now called Marvel Toys, is back making highly articulated action figures. The irony of it is that Marvel Toys is [supposedly] still a subsidiary of Marvel, but the Marvel toy production license was given to Hasbro, so Marvel toys has had to branch out to making characters from independent comic books. The first BAF (Build a figure), Dale Keown's Pitt, is trully an awesome figure, so I had to write about it to encourage some of you diehard Macross collectors to check it out.

Who the hell is Pitt you say? Well, go here if you don't know.

I like big hulking comic book characters and this figure has become my favorite plastic figure, replacing the Icons Hulk. For those of you that know, the Icons Hulk isn't heavy on articulation, but is a huge chunk of plastic and just looks awesome in my opinion. So that speaks a lot for this Pitt figure becoming my new fave. Just check out the details on this figure; chains galore, nice sculpt, and it has all kinds of red and gray shading/washes. It may not have a lot of accessories, make that none, but it does have presence!

Here's some comparison shots with the Icons Hulk(s) and to compare them with some of my [recent] diecast robots so you can see how much shelf space it can take up!

dsc00607ph9.jpg

dsc00608rq8.jpg

dsc00610yk3.jpg

...and finally a Hulk vs Pitt like in one of the Marvel Comics cross overs:

dsc00611wn1.jpg

So, if you want to build a Pitt figure, you have to buy all 6 figures in this series. The good news is this series actually has fairly well known characters like the Witchblade, Judge Dredd, and Savage Dragon, so you really do get your money's worth for getting all 6. The characters that you may not know are still fairly decent and if you don't want them, you can always give them to your nephews (like I did) or to your kids.

dsc00615vm1.jpg

You can go to this site for better pics of Pitt and the other figures in this series: http://lcbh.marvellegends.net/LCBH/LCBH01/

You can still order series one from BBTS by the way, if you can't find these at your local Wally World.

Didn't know these were sold at Walmart, when did these come out on shelves? I thought these would've come out distributed to comic shops and such only.

I first saw these at Wal-Mart also, maybe two or more weeks ago. The only one i'm interested in is the series 2 Darkness figure. I wanted the Sara Pezzini figure but after seeing it in person decided to pass.

I bought the whole series solely to build Pitt, who is absolutely incredible. As for the other figures, I don't like their characters enough to have even taken them out of the packages. Don't know what to do with them, actually, anyone want them?

Pitt was worth the price of admission though. My only problem with him is because of a mistake I made putting him together. I didn't see the waist chain in the package and assembled him without it. It's impossible to take his torso apart again to put it on. Oh well, not that big of a deal.

I'm looking forward to Monkeyman in the second series, too. And I'm praying to the toy Gods that they make a Maxx figure.

Edited by eriku

I bought the whole series solely to build Pitt, who is absolutely incredible. As for the other figures, I don't like their characters enough to have even taken them out of the packages. Don't know what to do with them, actually, anyone want them?

Pitt was worth the price of admission though. My only problem with him is because of a mistake I made putting him together. I didn't see the waist chain in the package and assembled him without it. It's impossible to take his torso apart again to put it on. Oh well, not that big of a deal.

I'm looking forward to Monkeyman in the second series, too. And I'm praying to the toy Gods that they make a Maxx figure.

I liked Pitt so much that I am in the process of building another one, mainly because I bought the varaints of Savage Dragon and Super Patriot. I'm looking for the 2 packs in my area but I can't find them. I want Conan and Waarl, heard they were actually good. I also want Clown Face and Panda since I liked the comics back in the late nineties, being it was hyped as the most controversial for it's day.

I'm not looking forward to the LCBH series 2 though, being that all I'm familiar with is the Darkness, but I am looking forward to the series 3 with a mean ass looking Ice Giant as the BAF to go with the Conans.

As far as the belt chain go, I actually did the same thing, but it's an easy fix... You can just cut the chain at it's smallest width and then super glue it once you have wrapped it around his waist.

As far as the belt chain go, I actually did the same thing, but it's an easy fix... You can just cut the chain at it's smallest width and then super glue it once you have wrapped it around his waist.

I was actually considering that. Seems about the only way to get it on there.

I'm not that excited about the individual figures in series 2 aside from Marv, and I'm not even really familiar with Monkeyman, but I always have room for big ape figures in my collection. :D

Edited by eriku

• 1 month later...

My local Wal-Mart got a couple of cases of the wave 2 Legendary Comic Book Heroes in. I kind of wanted Striker but his sculpt is pretty terrible so I passed. I did pick up a Darkness figure, and I have to tell you he is without a doubt the best figure released thus far for this line. The sculpt and attention to detail has an uncanny resemblance to Silverstri's work, and I have to give major props to whomever sculpted this. The paint app on mine also gets big points as the paint is crisp and precise with virtually no run off. The one small complaint is the color they chose for his forehead is wrong, very wrong. It's this odd bleached out peach color, when it should be much more tan. Also the little gold buckles on his hands aren't painted, but that's more of me being nit picky.

All in all this is a definite purchase, if you see him on the shelf don't pass, he's an absolutely excellent figure, and will not disappoint in the least. Ann O' Brien for wave 2 looks like a great figure too, which is a shame because the wave 1 Witchblade could have really used a good sculpt. Makes me wish they would rerelease the witchblade figure in the future as she makes a great counterpart to The Darkness.