Macross Super dimensional Fortress

Deadzone

Okay, If anybody is going to delete this topic or move it, please send me an email saying why it was moved or deleted and where it was moved to if it is moved.

I'm trying to watch the Japanese version of Macross, but I am having problems finding it at an affordable price. Apparently, the Animego versions sell for around $225.00. I recently discovered new versions selling in Hong Kong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=41524

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7&category=2290

The second one doesn't make any sense because the pictures are clearly Macross the original version, but then it talks about Macross Plus and the VF-19. I don't know what the hell a VF-19 is.

Is there any difference between the Hong Kong versions of Macross and the Animego version of Macross. If not, I'll save myself $170.00 and just shell out the money for the Hong Kong version. I grew up watching Robotech, and everybody has told me that the Macross version is better. So, I want to give the Macross version a try. However, I need to know what version to buy. Anybody with any insights please help. Thanks.

www.bestprices.com

www.overstock.com

I got my 2 box sets for 38 bones each.

and i'm gonna preorder the 3rd one.

You can either pay it and wait for it to come in stock...or just be added to the mailing list and see when the box sets come in stock.

the 2nd box set is waiting to come in stock for me.

Just a word of advice.... if you hate "reading" anime, stay away from HK boots as you won't even be able to read them.

Your best bet would be find some place that rents the Animeigo dvds.

I'll second that. My first taste of the original series was from some HK boots with particularly bad subtitles making it virtually impossible to follow and horrible picture quality. I don't know of any HK boots of the original series that had both a good transfer and a proper translation.

Beg, borrow, or steal the money for the Animeigo set. If you can rent or borrow them from someone you know, all the better. You'll be glad you did. Like rewooh said, overstock.com has 'em for cheap:

Box Set 1

Box Set 2

Box Set 3

It's still a little pricey for the whole lot of them, but you have to remember they digitally restored some pretty damaged source material, and the translation is essentially flawless. I loved it to death, and really didn't mind paying full price when it first came out, but YMMV.

I have the set form the Ebay auctions, and they're great. The video looks exceptionally good (I guess the remaster Animeigo set looks better) and the subtitles left nothing to be desired. Either MI redid the subs or Import Anime had a bunch of monkeys doing reviews for it, because this set is a decent alternative if you can't afford the Animeigo set. When I bought it, there was no Animeigo set. I don't think they had even announced it yet.