My New Classic Anime Blog

Area88

Hey guys,

i decided to start my own website for reviewing classic anime from the 80's:

gse_multipart26993.jpg

Since i'm a newbie at this any feedback, suggestions or help would be met with gratitude.

I will be adding new material in the next day or two.

Edited by Area88

The idea is neat. Very useful, some of these are new to me.

Just one minor point: your page title suggests you are only reviewing OVAs, are you limiting yourelves to OVAs only?

Off my head, I think Touch could be on your future list, it is one of the mosrt popular anime in Japan during the 80s but lesser known to other English speaking countries. More in Wiki: Touch

Thanks Mowe, i'm a big fan of Touch, i've seen around 10 episodes and it's one of my favourite tv series from the 80's. I kind of wished Animeigo had licensed it rather than Yawara but that's just my preference. I'll defintly post a glowing review of the show some time, at 101 episodes it might take me a while to get though all of it but i guess i could start with what i've seen so far.

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll defintly do it very soon.

Does anyone know how to delete the left toolbar on my blog, i know i'll have to edit the html code in the template but as a newbie i don't know what to do. I'm using blogger as my domain.

EDIT - doesn't matter, i can always fill the space with something else, like that logo i'm supposed to be designing.

Edited by Area88

Cool blog, I just added a link to you on my site.
Thankyou so much, when i've finished the layout of my site, i'll add your blog to my link section when it's up. Glad to see you enjoyed the over the top narration on the Gaga Communications video.

• 1 month later...

Any chance of doing a feature on the Super Deformed Double Feature? It's not *as* obscure as the other titles on your blog, but it's very out of print and I doubt many people have heard of it.

Do you cover non-subtitled stuff? I've got three tapes of an old OAV series called Shakotan Boogie, which was animated by Studio Pierrot back in '91 (okay, so it's not the 80's...).

Any chance of doing a feature on the Super Deformed Double Feature?
I love this title and yeah I would love to do this. I actually own 2 copies on vhs. However do you think it would be okay to rip a commercial copy opposed to a fansub? I have plenty of rare vhs fansubs that I've managed to rescue from obscurity since they've never been uploaded onto the net before. My next upcoming review is on a rare gem called Blue Flames.

Do you cover non-subtitled stuff? I've got three tapes of an old OAV series called Shakotan Boogie, which was animated by Studio Pierrot back in '91 (okay, so it's not the 80's...).
Yeah absolutly, alot of the best stuff is only available from Japan on vhs or ld unsubbed and raw. I know Shakotan Boogie is a racing anime but what's it actually like? The character designs for the main lead looks kind of strange - Click Here. May I also ask what other stuff you have on VHS or LD from Japan thats unsubbed? I have quite the wishlist of stuff I'm despeatly looking to feature on my site. Edited by Area88

I love this title and yeah I would love to do this. I actually own 2 copies on vhs. However do you think it would be okay to rip a commercial copy opposed to a fansub? I have plenty of rare vhs fansubs that I've managed to rescue from obscurity since they've never been uploaded onto the net before. My next upcoming review is on a rare gem called Blue Flames.

I'm no lawyer, so I couldn't tell you the exact legality of it. But considering AnimEigo no longer has the rights to it, and has no plans to try and rerelease it I'd say you're probably okay? I mean, sites like divx.com have out of print anime like Robot Carnival available for download, so...

Yeah absolutly, alot of the best stuff is only available from Japan on vhs or ld unsubbed and raw. I know Shakotan Boogie is a racing anime but what's it actually like? The character designs for the main lead looks kind of strange - Click Here. May I also ask what other stuff you have on VHS or LD from Japan thats unsubbed? I have quite the wishlist of stuff I'm despeatly looking to feature on my site.

It's less a racing anime an more an anime about guys using cars to pick up chicks. There is a racing element, but it's not the focus like in Initial D. It's been a few years since I watched it, I originally picked it up in '04 at a used video shop in Tokyo. I think it was about 80yen per tape, which is pretty amusing considering the original cover prices were between 11,000yen and 12,000yen. I'm not sure if I have anything else of interest on VHS, but I'll look through my box of old tapes.