Buying the movie DVD's

franky

I used to watch the shows on T.V. (in canada, from U.S. broadcast)

Now i'm looking to buy DVD's of Robotech /Macross...

What should I buy, theres:

Protoculture edition

remastered edition

Robotech

Macross Super Dimension Fortress

Genesis Climber Mospeada

Movies, series, limited editions, the list goes on and on...

Where do I begin, i'm kinda stumped...

Protoculture edition

remastered edition

Robotech

Genesis Climber Mospeada

I say buy Macross Saga Remastered First as Robotech is changed version of the story

Then you must get:

SDF Macross: Do You Remember Love ? (Superb animation)

Macross Plus OVA + The Movie (It is really hard to find an anime better than this in my opinion)

Macross Zero

Macross II: Lovers Again

But if you insist on Robotech I say

Robotech (Macross Saga) Remastered

Robotech II: Sentinels

and skip the rest as I hated Southern Cross very much

Protoculture edition

remastered edition

Robotech

Genesis Climber Mospeada

Macross:

- Anime Eigo- Super Dimension Fortress Macross DVD set (Out of Print, but still available around)

~or~

- ADV SDF Macross (Dubbing "takes too many liberties" with the story, mis-pronounce character's names and the Macross name frequently) not recommended, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it. I would recommend you watch the subbed tracks instead of the english dialogue).

- Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love - Perfect Edition FX

(Out of Print, but some copies around-beware ebay sellers like Sundevil claim to be selling copies, but they are the run of the mill HK bootlegs, so if you get one don't expect the FX versions quality.

Other sellers claim to have it, so be careful. The only one who you can trust is Valkyrie Exchange, but he no longer has any.

- Manga Entertainment- Macross Plus OVA's 1 - 4 DVDs (Decent dub of the series)

- Manga Entertainment- Macross Plus Movie DVD (Not a recut of OVA series, but a movie version of the series with new scenes not seen in the OVAs- subbed)

- Macross Zero - The HK Perfect edition (Has all the episodes on a 2 disc set, available everywhere)

[There are fansubbed torrents on the web, so if you wish to download them, you will get superior translations compared to the HK bootlegs. You will have to convert them to DVD format to watch them on your TV]

- Anime Eigo- Macross II: Lover's Again DVD (You can watch it either dubbed or subbed)

Southern Cross:

ADV- Super Dimensional Cavalary Southern Cross series DVD set

Mospeada:

ADV- Genesis Climber Mospeada series DVD set.

Robotech

The ADV Remastered Robotech series the Protocultue Edition (has a disc of the RT II: Sentinels premier on it).

Edited by Zinjo

I'd add above that the ADV dub of SDF Macross also changes many of the signature sound effects ("buzzsaw gunpod" now gone, etc.) for the 5.1 english dub. And, sadly, the original Japanese stereo soundtrack is far inferior to the one included on the Animeigo release.

So, for SDF Macross, if you're a purist and want the best video, original Japanese dialogue w/ great english subtitles, and original (non G.I. Joe) sound effects. . . Animeigo is the only way to go.

If you don't mind sending HG some money directly, I believe this is the newest, most readily available boxset of all the entire Animeigo release. And, if I'm not mistaken, that's a darn good price for it! (recently reduced?)

You can also try here for the original Macross TV Madman The price is in $AUS so it's not too bad, it's approx $95US + post.

You'll need a region free player though.

It has 3 booklets with the linear notes, characters, mecha & songs. This one is on 6 dvd's but it's a legit release of Animego's remaster.

Edited by thegunny

I'd add above that the ADV dub of SDF Macross also changes many of the signature sound effects ("buzzsaw gunpod" now gone, etc.) for the 5.1 english dub. And, sadly, the original Japanese stereo soundtrack is far inferior to the one included on the Animeigo release.

So, for SDF Macross, if you're a purist and want the best video, original Japanese dialogue w/ great english subtitles, and original (non G.I. Joe) sound effects. . . Animeigo is the only way to go.

If you don't mind sending HG some money directly, I believe this is the newest, most readily available boxset of all the entire Animeigo release. And, if I'm not mistaken, that's a darn good price for it! (recently reduced?)

Actually that looks like the old Animeigo release, just repackaged.

How quaint, the RT store is selling the Mac Plus movie DVD (I guess they figure if enough people are fooled into thinking they own the rights to the show, they actually will... :rolleyes: ). Manga Ent. will let anybody sell their product... B))

I was looking around for macross plus dvd and saw amazon.com has them. They have the 2 dvd's with im assuming 2 episodes each, then the movie, they also have this http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0009IOQXK/re...4560137-3400937

Im not sure if it contains all 4 episodes of the series because 1 guy siad that it had the movie in the box, so i thought id ask.

Edited by wolfwood390

I was looking around for macross plus dvd and saw amazon.com has them. They have the 2 dvd's with im assuming 2 episodes each, then the movie, they also have this http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0009IOQXK/re...4560137-3400937

Im not sure if it contains all 4 episodes of the series because 1 guy siad that it had the movie in the box, so i thought id ask.

If it's the MAC PLUS series on dvd yer looking for, well, you can also find the 2 dvd set at yer nearest WAL-MART if you happen to be here on the continental U.S.

I'm pretty sure it's only the Perfect Edition that has both the series and the movie in the one set.

I have a pretty badly subtitled version of Macross Zero. I got a bootleg off of ebay, before I had read this thread. Is there a way to replace the subtitles the same way as the DYRL fx dvd?

Steve

Why bother it won't make it any better :rolleyes:<_<

If it's the MAC PLUS series on dvd yer looking for, well, you can also find the 2 dvd set at yer nearest WAL-MART if you happen to be here on the continental U.S.

hmm walmart yousay, Ill have to go look, usually they only have some big names, like the cowboy bebop movie, and thats about that.