Some old models

jardann

Here are some pics of some old models I built. These represent several time periods of model building for me. The first one is from the old Robotech Defenders line. It's a 1/48 Condar from the Dougram series. I got this kit as a present for my birthday in seventh grade. It was the first robot model I built. That was 20 years ago!

post-2082-1161049018_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161049030_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161049041_thumb.jpg

A few more of Condar. This was a pretty good kit, especially for a 12 year old boy. I can't believe how expensive they are now. You can see that I didn't worry too much about seams, but this was one of my first attempts at camoflauge and I still like the effect even though you can see some pretty bad brushstrokes! :p

post-2082-1161049246_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161049255_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161049265_thumb.jpg

OK, now, so this thread doesn't get moved, I'll stick with Macross kits that I've built.

First is the Zentraedi Flagship (with tiny SDF-1). I built this kit in 1989. I know because I signed and dated the underside of the base! :D I don't know if you can tell in the pics, but I achieved a very smooth finish on this by painting with a brush and the seams are better. I'm just now getting used to an airbrush and have a lot to learn on that.

post-2082-1161049673_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161049686_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161049698_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161049705_thumb.jpg

Next up is a metal mini Officer's Battle Pod that was one of the old "unseen" Battletech mechs. I of course painted it as it was meant to be. lol! :ph34r:

post-2082-1161049996_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161050020_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161050027_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161050035_thumb.jpg

Next up is one of the 1/100 Bandai variable Valkyries. This is probably the third of these kits that I have built. The first one I built was my first Macross kit ever and I was amazed by the engineering. It was a VF-1S strike and that was the first I had seen of the fast packs. It turned out ok, but I didn't paint it. I built a Max 1J next, but I painted it with very heavy coats of paint and it fell apart from trying to transform it. This one I built with the battloid mode in mind probably about five years ago. It can still transform, but I never put the canopy on the cockpit because they are so awful on these kits. :rolleyes:

post-2082-1161050581_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161050590_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161050613_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161050625_thumb.jpg

The decals taht came with the first of these kits I had were awesome, but the decals that come with these reissued kits are terrible. :wacko: I used the Dragon logo from the decal sheets of some Dragon brand model kits that I had sonow this valk is from "Dragon Squadron".

This kit has a lot of shortcomings, but IMHO it is way better than the 1/100 Arii single mode Battloid or Gerwalk kits. Since most of these 1/100 variables come as super or strike variants with some of the fast pack parts molded on I used parts from the Max 1J I had built earlier that fell apart. That was the only one I had without the fast pack parts and with the proper normal version parts. I also modified the barms by cutting the bicep area on a molded line and used a polycap in the upper portion and a sprue rod in the lower part so that now the arms don't always stick out like a goon! Unfortunately, one bicep is starting to crack a little.

post-2082-1161051254_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161051264_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161051274_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161051284_thumb.jpg

I've had a pretty long spell where I didn't finish a model. :( I really hardly had time to work on any because I was working or going to school or taking care of the kids. I also knew that for my modeling to progress, I would have to learn to use an airbrush. So over the last year I have slowly been able to put more time into modeling and the results seem pretty good so far. I've built some 1/2500 scale Star Trek ships which I like because I can easily finish one quickly if I want or take extra time and make them look really good. My latest Macross kit is a kitbash of a subject I made up myself. It is a precursor to the ghost drone and I figure it could fit inot the Macross Zero time period, although it probably wouldn't have been top of the line even by then. I posted some in progress pics before, but here are a couple with the decals on. I did this as kind of a warm up to the stack of Hasegawa valks and resin kits I have collected from the great kit creators we have here.

post-2082-1161052179_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161052188_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1161052197_thumb.jpg

Edited by jardann

I hope everyone feels free to post any of their work here. I'm always impressed by the work of the talented modelers here on MW. Hopefully someone will like the look of some of my kits and maybe be a little inspired too. I definitely have a lot of room for improvement, but I'm moslty glad that I have the time to do some modeling again. Any tips or criticisms are welcome. I would be very interested if anyone else has some examples to share from the different stages of your modeling career! So chime on in if you like! :)

Yeah, that was my idea. Anybody have some pics to compare some of your old work with some of your more recent?

Jump on in so we can see your progress! :)

Its good to see this sort of thing I wonder if others would do a similar thing I for one would love to see WM Chengs earlier attempts or maybe HWR`s first tank kit.

I only have 1 old kit from 1995 or earlier. The rest got destroyed in a move across country. none were salvageable

Those old Robotech kits bring back good memories :) .

The oldest I've got pictures for (and still have) are from 1997. I posted one of these for HWR when he asked about leg artwork on the 1/72 monster he was building (I stuck Shamu the killer whale on it). I scratch built this to go with all the other 1/100 kits I have. Now 1/200 is "the new" 1/100 for me due to space (and making it all fit into the Daedalus. Pardon the bad photos.

[attachmentid=37316] [attachmentid=37317] [attachmentid=37318] [attachmentid=37319]

The next oldest are from 1998-2004 in this thread: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...42&hl=vc-33 - MT

post-2518-1161225449_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1161225487_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1161225525_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1161225574_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

That's what I'm talkin' about! MechTech, your scratchbuilds are awesome! Way better than my work on high quality kits. I usually can't even cut two pieces of sheet plastic to the same size when I try to scratchbuild something! :p:lol:

Also, I think now the next real step in my building needs to be improving my paint jobs. I'm working with improving my airbrush skills, but for lots of things, small areas mostly, I don't ever feel like going through the hassle of setting up and then cleaning the airbrush when I can brush paint a lot of things in just a few minutes.

HWR, that's a bummer about your old kits. I still have bunches of kits that are older than the ones I posted in this thread. Of course, they're not much to look at, but I can't bring myself to throw them out for no good reason. I always think I might either rework them sometime, or maybe use them for parts for other projects.

Thanks for sharing guys. Anyone else out there have some comparisons of your earlier work vs your more current models? Take some pics and show your progress!