Octos W.i.p Using Maya

Kurisama

G'day! I don't post much, well at all really, but do enjoy my time here on MW, and during my searches hadn't found any one having a go at the Octos and for a long time now i've been wanting to make this very cool machine, but with the limited pics there are of the Octos, it's kinda hard to see how it all works, especially the back section that kinda vanishes!

And there's also only so many times u can watch M.Zero to get a good view of it before u go mad (Not really tho...). Any how, i'm not a great modeler - but i can always have a try, right?

So here's my go at the Octos, much to my dismay, the Octos too, unfortunately also suffers from anime magic, but not that much luckily! I've got alotta screen caps and the pics that have been posted up around here, but any new news, pics or theories, all welcome!

Pls feed back! Or Pics! Or somebody gimmie their view on this beast!

th_91481_Octos_00_Close.jpgth_91694_Octos_00_Open.jpgth_92563_Octos_00_Open_2.jpg

Cool to see a member tackle this thing. I´d love to make a model of the Octos (so I didn´t mind that you had first posted this in the kit forum! :D <9, but I gave up due to too little screen time of that thing, most of the time in/under water. I thought there would be some lineart in the recent Kawamori books, but....nothing.

The people seem to have no heart for Destroids and other non-VF- machines! :(

All I can say is that your rendering looks the point so far, I´d love to see it finished - and how it transforms!

As far as I remember the Octos was NOT a CG model in the OAV but more or less handdrawn - could easily be that there is some anime magic involved in the transformation, after all it depends on how much the design was actually "fleshed out" - you cannot tell that from the few seconds it was actually visible.

Thanks guys! I'm purely making this for fun, and a bit of practice! When it's finished i'll make a few nice renders, who knows, but definately make it available if anybody else wants to have a play with it.

My 2 main concerns are how exactly the 'shoulder' joints work and the hind shoulder/hip joints. And the other is how the font wheels/feet function because as you've seen when under water wrestling with the VF-0, it had large pincer type manipulators, and they end up kinda pinching the wheel into position, like in the pic above.

Enough of a rant! My next step it to finish the 'face' cockpit area and make the shoulder cannon, which again in some shots looks sleek and almost identical to the SV-51's rifle - and in other shots, like when roy collides/tackles it in ep.4, it looks stubby. So i'll make an inbetween, see what looks best.

Also really bothers me that the official M.Zero website has no info or pics on the Octos, phft... it had the cheyenne..? What gives?

Anyhow its a cool concept, kinda gets the creative juices going, maybe if the Anti U.N also had a land tank/destroid for inland ops? Hmm....

EDIT - Spelling

Edited by Kurisama

I'm looking forward to see an animation sequence of the transformation... he he

395011[/snapback]

I'm still waiting for some proper animation sequences from some other things this guy has been working on.. :p

Kuri-chan, was wondering what you'd been up to. You need to come back around sooner than later. Can't really comment yet as, knowing you, there'll be tweaks and changes during the course of you drawing this.. but looks ok sofar.

Honestly, how come those renders you sent me before were better detailed than this? I'm not talking about the ones you sent via email, I'm talking about your "other" stuff.

Also really bothers me that the official M.Zero website has no info or pics on the Octos, phft... it had the cheyenne..? What gives?

EDIT - Spelling

395010[/snapback]

The Cheyenne is actually quite well covered. There is a sketch of the main body, some more lineart and full colour renderings of the whole machine from 2 angles. The only thing I´d still like to know is how the retracting wheels in the back of the legs are supposed to work. Looks complicated. All the art can be found in the magazine section IIRC.

post-2845-1146311714_thumb.jpg

By the way judging from the figure the Cheyenne is standard Destroid size like the Tomahawk, not the bigger size we´ve come to know from the VF-0 in comparison to the VF-1.

Edited by honneamise

Well, Jinnai - those 'other pics' had a lot more geometry in there, and even tho they were untextured they still looked nice 'cause the light rays had many places to hide in! And the Octos here is just being born!

The 'battroid' will look infinately better than the sub-mode, with all the liitle greebles n stuff! The gun is and cockpit are nearly ready, hope u enjoy these next few updates.

Oh, here's the parts break down for the Octos, as u can see - i've colour coded the parts - BUT - where does the back part of the hull goto? It must suffer from Optimus Prime Trailer Syndrome, or O.P.T.S as we call it in the field...

...yeeeaaah....

Maybe it stays behind? Surely not... but i'm thinking i may make some sort of hinge/joint to attatch it to the back when its battroid form, kinda like a wolf spider or fuchikoma/tachikoma?

Oh, here's the parts break down for the Octos, as u can see - i've colour coded the parts - BUT - where does the back part of the hull goto? It must suffer from Optimus Prime Trailer Syndrome, or O.P.T.S as we call it in the field...

I think it stays on the field.

Compendium says: ACCOMMODATION: Pilot in cockpit. Cabin in main body with room for 5-6 people.

I think the hull may have some space for commandoes.

FV

Yeah i guess it must stay on the field, but 5 - 6 people? It looks like even with two 2 or so turbines and an attatchment to connect it to the main body, the back part could still hold at least double that, judging by the the scale of the dude standing underneath it, in the line art above.

I also have NO idea how the mechanism for the front upper arms work. For example when its underwater just before it fires a torpedo from it's 'fist', the 'bicep' (i guess!) extends quite far from its body, and that doesn't quite add up with the line art.

Help any body? There has gotta be a bigger 'mecha-worker-er-outer' freak than me on these boards!

Jeez, what have i got myself into!?!? Argh!

Edit - Okay, after frame by frame of ALL screen time in ep.3 & 4, i think i got the front claws and front wheel figured out. Pics soon.

Edited by Kurisama

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys! Been busy! Applying for a few jobs, u know how it is, haven't had time to post much or model much, as i've been trying to get my portfolio together for an interview soon!

Anyways......

At the moment i'm modeling the front arm inner detail and starting the back legs.

Pics soon.