Model Master Enamel Paint Top Coat

DatterBoy

Double Post from Customs (mods remove other if you like) since the experienced modellers are here.

I've been using the Model Master Top Coat to protect my Custom JM... unfortunately. this seems to be destroying my custom job. Basically, the top coat remains sticky and is gathering everything from dust, to hair, and flakes of paint chips. This really sucks.

I used to to primarily cover over heavy points of friction and over painted details. The details were tamiya paints painted on top of Krylon as my base colors. I did not put the top coat over the Krylon cuz Fusion does not need it... it is rock hard when dry.

I have heard that many people use Future, but the guy at the hobby shop recommended this...

Is this stickiness normal? And will it go away? How long is it supposed to take to dry? Can I buff all the random crap out or remove the junk without messing up my custom?

Thanks in advance.

Now you know why I stay away from enamel model paints.

I'd sand down the areas that have anything stuck in them. With care you should be able to get past the debris, without taking the underlieing paint off. After that, I'd use an acrylic clera coat. I do like the Model Master Acryl flat clear coat.

Future is a good option, because it's harder than model paint, and seems to wear well. The problem is it's super shiny. I've heard that mixing it with Tamiya flat base works well for making satin and flat clear coats.

Edited by Greyryder

So enamel clear coat - bad idea. I'll have to remeber that. Wish I didn't hit it up on my JM tho... dammit.

Problem has been that I've not been able to find Future round here or have not been looking hard enough. For now, I'll try looking for that acrylic clear coat and sanding down my messed up parts. I guess worse comes to worse, I can sand down to the resin and repaint...

If any one knows any more info that may help out here, I'd appreciate it. Going on day 3.5 and the stuff is still tacky...

Ok you're in the bay area so just walk into any Safeway, Bell Air or Longs Drugs and pick up some Future Floor Wax. Just put that on first then put a flat coat of whatever you want over the top of that.

Edited by Grayson72

Enamel and Acrylics are two different paint systems - you cannot mix them! To be more specific, NEVER use enamels (or laquers) on a surface painted with acrylics or the effect that you described will occur (it can happen immediately or even after 1 year, I learned it the hard way too :( ).

While it seems to work the other way round - you can paint your model with enamels and then seal it all with an acrylic coat - I´d choose one system and stick with it, who knows what might happen even after some decades....

If you can´t find Future (we don´t have this stuff here in Germany) try either Gunze or Tamiya clear spray or - even better - if you have a Games Workshop around (the stores that sell Warhammer miniatures etc.) get a can of Citadel Purity Seal - that stuff is perfect!