1/144th Spartan resin

Sar

Finally finished the cursèd thing, about a week or two after I'd expected to. :/ I think this is the first commercial resin kit I've finished - I've cast stuff of my own in resin before, but that's obviously not quite the same.

I've tried to make it a little more dynamic than the original, there's a progress page on my site with pictures from start to finish.

final1.jpg

final3.jpg

There's a couple of places that mould-line filling/sanding didn't come off perfectly (and I didn't notice 'til after I'd painted the camo), I reckon in retrospect I probably should have filled and sanded flat the markings on the nose and painted them on instead, and shouldn't have mixed warm and cold greys on the base... any other critique I'm eager to hear!

Very nice work!

Should you have painted over the headlights, etc. though?

Nanashi's

www.macrossmecha.info

Finally finished the cursèd thing, about a week or two after I'd expected to. :/ I think this is the first commercial resin kit I've finished - I've cast stuff of my own in resin before, but that's obviously not quite the same.

I've tried to make it a little more dynamic than the original, there's a progress page on my site with pictures from start to finish.

final1.jpg

final3.jpg

There's a couple of places that mould-line filling/sanding didn't come off perfectly (and I didn't notice 'til after I'd painted the camo), I reckon in retrospect I probably should have filled and sanded flat the markings on the nose and painted them on instead, and shouldn't have mixed warm and cold greys on the base... any other critique I'm eager to hear!

338851[/snapback]

Very nice work!

338883[/snapback]

Thanks! ;-)

Should you have painted over the headlights, etc. though?

338883[/snapback]

Damnit, that's what those things are! I spent ages looking at the old Imai box art thinking "I'm sure I should know why those bits are a lighter colour..." ;-)

I'll try and fix 'em up a bit - I'm already expecting to take replacement photos when a not-so-overcast day arrives.

Beautifull, was this in the Destroid set from Hobbyfan, together with the three other destroids ? If so, I'm keen to see the other models finished.

339084[/snapback]

*cries*

Yes, it was, but... I'm not sure I can face the others anytime soon, to be honest... ;-)

Seriously, though, I'm trying to get through my backlog of mecha models, and I can't spend all my time on Macross; a Jovian Chronicles Pathfinder is up next, I think...

Got the same kit lying around. Mind if I pop in for a few quick questions once I start them ?

339084[/snapback]

Well, I'd be happy to answer any questions, but I don't think there's really much I could tell you about 'em; it was pretty straightforward to assemble, before being hacked around, the majority of the effort by a long way was spent in filling and sanding the mould lines.

Are you going to try 1/72 scale stuff?

338958[/snapback]

I've got a 1/72nd Strike Valkyrie in my queue for sometime in the future... hopefully before I buy any more kits... but it's going to be ages before I get around to [finishing] that. I, uh, pieced together the cockpit and pilot?

2.jpg

;-)

Nice. It'll help the scheme alot when you break it up with the details and whatnot like the lights, but it looks really good now. Are you going to be doing the large Pathfinder resin kit? I've always wanted to read a buildup of that and have wondered what it'd take to swap out the joints for PVC posable ones to make it an action figure....

Nice.  It'll help the scheme alot when you break it up with the details and whatnot like the lights, but it looks really good now.

339136[/snapback]

Speaking of which, I'm thinking the lights and the cockpit windows. Maybe a bit more of an obvious lens on the sensor thing just above the waist... is there anything else I'm missing? After some discussion on CoM I'm gonna try a bit of cotton wool smoke behind the launching missiles, as well, give it a bit more of a focal point.

Are you going to be doing the large Pathfinder resin kit?  I've always wanted to read a buildup of that and have wondered what it'd take to swap out the joints for PVC posable ones to make it an action figure....

339136[/snapback]

It's the Fusion Models resin kit DP9 sells, yeah - 1/200th.

On one hand, all of the joints are already ball-and-socket joints, just cast into the resin... on the other hand, I don't think it's really big enough to fit polycaps inside, at least not neatly; the gun is about 60mm long, it reaches up to the bottom of the missile bays on the Spartan, so I think it'll end up around the same size all told. This page has a load of pictures of the parts.