Square's best!

Wasn't Xenogear developed by Monolith and published by Square?

As for which Square games are worth checking out..... the Front Mission series, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Einhander and Xenogears.

Now... if you really want to play a good Square game.... go buy yourself a copy of Vagrant Story. Quite possibly the best looking PSX game, and one of the most original Square game to date.

Stay as far away as possible from Chrono Cross, Unlimited Saga, all non RPG/adventure games.

Ya Vagrant Story was cool. I think it did better in the US than in Japan. Too bad there won't be a sequel any time soon.

Chrono Cross' only saving grace was the music. The rest of the game was awful.

Square tried their hands with fighting games with mixed results.

Tobal 1 and 2 were terrible.

Bushido Blade was cool for its time. The first one seemed so unfinished. You could use a game shark to unlock a few things they were not normally playable. The second was alright except they took away the ability to cripple your opponent.

Ehrgeiz was ok. I think Namco was involved with this one. The mulit-3D planes made for some cool fights. There were also mini games and a dungeon mode.

Its obvious Sqaure's best efforts are far behind them. They haven't really tried anything new(outside of RPGs) since the FF movie bombed (rightfully so). They'll play it safe with games that have "FF" in the title because they know Sqaure/FF obsessed fanboys will buy anything with "FF"on it. A Final Fantasy Fishing game with characters from the games would probaly sell well lol.

btw I wonder why Xenogears never became a greatest hits title after its two printings.

I liked Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4-6, Final Fantasy 8 and 9. I don't care what anyone else says, 7 and 10 were mediocre. Secret of Mana was fun, but I didn't really care for any of the other games in the Seiken Densetsu series. The SaGa series was pretty mediocre, although I did have some fun with the first PSX SaGa Frontier. Xenogears was a blast, and no, so far Xenosaga is not up to par with it. Bushido Blade and Bushido Blade 2 were alright, I wouldn't mind playing another. The Bouncer was pretty so-so.

I kinda agree with what someone else said: if not for Final Fantasy fanboys and girls, I think Square would be done. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Square sucks... they've done quite a few good games, mostly RPGs. But I don't think they've done enough to be reguarded as highly in the industry as they are. Developers that deserve the real credit, IMHO, would be Capcom, Konami, Sega, and Nintendo.

btw I wonder why Xenogears never became a greatest hits title after its two printings.

That's a goood question I'd like to know the answer to myself. A few years ago I wrote to them regarding that and they replied by telling me that it was a consideration and highly possible in conjunction for the Xenosaga release. Of course it never happened......

Yeah, I forgot about Vagrant Story. That was the third Square game I found truly worth it in my top 10 list. FFT and Front Mission titles I only recommend to those who love stragety/battle sim RPG games. I notice that the casual RPG gamer of today's age find them too hard. <_<

Edited by Jemstone

Personally, Square makes okay . The newer aren't as jaw dropping awesome as their 16 bit titles. The only PS2 I liked overall was Kingdom Hearts. But Chrono Trigger is still their best (And most revolutionary, as it was the first collabo between Square and Enix's designers.).