YF-19 and SV-51 for radio control

Splash

Yes, I was rather pleased.  Right now, it's actually got some basic controls, but the wind is so strong, I've only been able to fly for a couple seconds at a time, between gusts. 

NoSuchFile: Whaddya mean, looks funny? ;) It looks like an SV-51...  Which...  Well..  Ok, fine.  SVs do look funny.  Too many fins, and a Cyrano-de-Bergerac-esque nose.  :D

~Luke

381768[/snapback]

IAD, any chance of possibly getting a pdf, dwg, dxf or anything of the sort with the outlines for the model you just post pics for? Wouldn't mind having a 3d foamie like that. Attach a couple of brushless ducts to the 3d foamie would be sweet to have as a park type flyer where I'm at. Got lots of land around but too many air restrictions. Limited to park flyer type planes. If, not not thanks anyway, doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by Bad_Scorpion

this is an amazing project, Maybe with everyone following along for so long it's lost a little of its pazaz to you guys, but i just found it.

It is absoloutly stunning that you are doing this, and so close to pulling it off. props to everyone involved, keep up the good work.

Thanks guys. It's encouraging to know that I've got moral support, as it were! :D

Ok, I'm on the final leg. All the controls are hooked up, and I've got an order of lighter, higher-power servos 'in progress'. Twice as much torque, 0.03 oz., lighter per servo, plus better recentering, to boot.

(The current servos I have are close to 'burning', due to all the different control systems they have to drive, plus they never quite come back to the same 'center' point.)

Once those come and are installed, it's just a matter of waiting for the perfect day to test-fly! :D

~Luke

Edited by IAD

Thanks guys.  It's encouraging to know that I've got moral support, as it were! :D

Ok, I'm on the final leg.  All the controls are hooked up, and I've got an order of lighter, higher-power servos 'in progress'.  Twice as much torque, 0.03 oz., lighter per servo, plus better recentering, to boot. 

(The current servos I have are close to 'burning', due to all the different control systems they have to drive, plus they never quite come back to the same 'center' point.) 

Once those come and are installed, it's just a matter of waiting for the perfect day to test-fly! :D

~Luke

382514[/snapback]

cool. Is there anyway for you to photograph the linkage on this thing? I'm facinated by this.

Are all the controlls for hidden inside the plane or can you see little pushrods and such on the outside?

I'll get some photos, maybe even a short video clip, showing the controls working, once I get the new servos in place.

Almost all of the control systems are completely hidden. The only exception is on the elevators. Each one has a very low profile (custom) control horn about 0.2" tall, and about 0.25" of pushrod exposed, at the very base.

All the other aerodynamic control surfaces use torque-rods, so everything's internal.

The thrust-vector vanes have the interlinks up inside the 'glove' at the very end of the nacelle, so unless you're looking right up the exhaust ducting, you won't see anything. Even if you are looking, the 1/64" interlink pushrods don't really show up that badly.

~Luke

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the servos came Thursday, and I hope to have them in place by today. Unfortunately, I'm running at decreased efficiency... Picked up some sort of sore-throat-bug thing, and not feeling so great.

But, I'm determined. The weather has finally gone from ultra-windy to flyable..!

~Luke

Ok, the servos are installed. They're 0.1 oz. lighter (for the pair) and have twice the torque output. They definitely work better in this application, all the surfaces recenter faster, etc.

Also, because the geometry of the servo arms is different, I don't have to reduce the throws via the dual rates on the transmitter, which in turn means better resolution in terms of servo position. (At least, that's what I remember reading 'out there' somewhere.) Also, it definitely means that the torque of the servos is being put to better use.

~Luke

Ok, here's a couple photos...

First, the control installation. It's really not as messy as it looks. (Promise!)

It's a little hard to see what's going on, but the general idea is this:

Right servo:

Right elevator demixer feed and right thrust-vector vanes feed to outside side of the servo arm.

Right elevons go to the inside side of the same servo arm.

Left canards to the inside side of the servo as the right elevons.

Left servo:

Left elevator demixer feed and left thrust-vector vanes feed to outside side of the servo arm.

Left elevons go to the inside side of the same servo arm.

Right canards to the inside side of the servo as the right elevons.

Also, just to prove that overall, the SV still looks just fine, I've attached an overall shot. It did take some 'hanger rash' in the process of swapping out the servos, but nothing really visible.

~Luke

post-3133-1143915082_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1143915131_thumb.jpg

I tell you, that control rig has more pushrods-per-servo than anything else I have seen... :rolleyes:

Glad you like it, though (for your sake) I hope you never have to fix it! :D (Don't worry, it's durable.)

Next, I have to get a spot of good weather for flight-testing.

~Luke

No good weather so far... If it isn't raining, it's windy. (And that's when it isn't both.) :(

Also, I'm just getting over a cold, and didn't really feel like trying a first flight with anything less than full mental capacity at my disposal. :rolleyes:

So, I applied the canopy frame instead... Not much, but it does look good. (Obviously, yet to be painted.) It is made up of strips of paper, carefully applied. This way, even when painted, there's a nice 'frame' look, instead of just having lines drawn on a flat surface.

~Luke

post-3133-1144502528_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1144502545_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1144502565_thumb.jpg

Edited by IAD

Yes, spring isn't known for it's flying weather.

Also, I found out that I'm shamefully out of practice. (I crashed/crash-landed a couple ships that normally I can fling around the sky as I see fit. Only light damage, but still mortifying.)

I'm going to have to do some brushing up on technique, before I take the SV out.

~Luke

I'm actually working on building a 3 park flyer from your design. Should be able to get a few pics up once put to gether then get som pics once had radio gear installed and eventually post a small video clip once in the air. May have up and running by late next week. But keep us posted on yours. Windy as hell here too. Can't fly my chopper or my jet. about 30-40 mph here off and on. Good time to build up the fleet for the year.

EEEWWWW. Well i d have sme good news. Im getting that cheap SU-27 park flyer this coming sunday so i can get all my crashing done with that. Honestly i wont be bothered by treating the SV the same way Bovington treats their tiger. Pull it out once a year and leave it inside on display the rest of the time. It will be flown but not too often.

Same here.  If only I knew fiberglass moulding techniques, I could make a mould, crank out 4-6 of these things, and then we pilots wouldn't have to be so worried.  ;)

~Luke

395029[/snapback]

Fiberglassing isn't that difficult just takes a little practice just like flying. I wouldn't mind making a mold or two but still trying to get back to finishing the 3d park flyer first. Got a little delayed with some other things and just picked up a walkera 22Ez heli. Been tinkering with that as well. If I ever get this 3D finished I'll see if I can't get a fiberglass shell together and try it out. Although what does your model weigh without electronics or motors? I think weight would be a little bit of an issue. If made of fiberglass would most likley need to be nitro or some much larger electrics and proobably lipos, very high powered lipos. Anyway, I'll let you know if I get ready to try it out. Since you already provided me with the files you used I can work from that.

The empty weight is supposed to be 5.5 oz., it came out about 6 oz., or so... I think you're right, the EDF-40s are just too small for a fiberglass ship. Now, a couple Microfans, the right brushless motors, and an all-fiberglass airframe...

Back to reality:

Ok, looks like the first flight may be this evening... Maybe.

I finally got around to taking a little video of the flight control system.

Low res, and bad contrast, but here it is:

http://home.comcast.net/~we-shoppe/SVControls.avi

(Don't worry, the flight video will be better.)

~Luke

OH MY GOD :o:o That is even more impressive than the balsa prototype. The whole airframe is a contrl surface with all the moveables spread out like that. I wouldnt be suprised if that is now a highly stable and controlable aircraft.

Thanks guys! Yes, it should be good.

However, rotten luck. The wind picked up, so the flight was scratched. Maybe tomorrow. I've got to do this soon, before I get too nervous.

~Luke

Edited by IAD

As charlie brown would say. AARRRRRRGGGGG! A guy i work with so wants t see this. He doesnt think it will be flyable. Even though he saw the proto fly. I wont let him fly it though. He cant fly ONE day without getting 3 deadsticks at a minimum.

Edited by HWR MKII

Heheh... 3 deadsticks/day, huh? I hope he's an RC pilot, and not an Air Force 'Viper-driver' or something..! :D

I've pretty much decided I'm flying tomorrow, given reasonable conditions. Absolutely still days are months away, and a ~5 MPH headwind will just help me get up to airspeed, on launch. The area I'm going to fly at is big enough so I have some time to decide whether to take the first turn or not. (Wind only gets tricky when you're not flying straight into it.)

~Luke

Wow. In E-RC?! :blink::D

Of course, I've managed to 'remove' the motor and gearbox from a slowflyer a few times. (In flight, of course.)

Landed fine, but it sure was deadstick.

~Luke

Edited by IAD