YF-19 and SV-51 for radio control

Splash

Dunno, really... I mean, if I were to really push, I could probably finish within the week... I'm shooting to have it up and running by the end of the month, though. Better to do it a bit slower, and do it right, than to rush, and pile the whole thing into the ground because of something dumb... ;)

~Luke

• 2 weeks later...

Almost, almost. I've got one fan mounted, the speed controls mounted... The bottom of the nacelles are finally finished... Oh, and I started playing around with some paint. (Just a little, I'm not too sure how much weight I'll have to play around with, after everything's installed.)

Almost. Oh the suspense of it all! :blink:

~Luke

P.S. I need to pick up some better gold paint, I know. Stupid cheap stuff I had laying around. :angry:

post-3133-1125407539_thumb.jpg

Edited by IAD

Well, late as usual. But, take a look at the paint-job! (WIP, I might add.)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment....chmentid=579230

Now, I know it isn't perfect 'scale' and Ivanov would probably be turning over in his grave (if he hadn't been vaporized...)

But, considering I don't have an airbrush, and have to keep the weight under control, I think it's close enough.

~Luke

Edited by IAD

Well, I've just about finished it. A few odds and ends to tie up, but I've got the electronics driving the control system in, and everything works.

I'm over my objective weight, but still hoping for the best. (13.25 oz., ready to fly.) If the weather holds, I'll be taking my shot at flying it over the weekend, sometime.

~Luke

I'm not a RC planes expert, I can't judge the quality of your job but as Macross fan, sv-51y fan, and as modeler too all I can say is that seing the sv-51 model actually fliyng its wonderful, please keep it up, I can't wait to see more.

;)

You know, everybody's been asking me that. ;)

This is what I told them:

If you're willing to buy the trio of $200 motors, $100 fans, $500 (yes, five-hundred-dollar) battery pack, couple dozen servo-motors, stabilizing gyroscopes, etc.... I'll build it..!

:D

:rolleyes:

~Luke

IAD, I followed all the work in the R/C forum topic, It's amazing, but I didn't understand very well what kind of engines it uses, have you pics or links?

I wonder if you were able to watch Macross Zero after all, if yes do you like it?

ps

In you opinion a R/C VF-0 will be possible?

It uses a pair of these: http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motors/Feig...oductId=U025875

Mounted in a pair of these: http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motors/duct...oductId=T786626

I went and found some Macross Zero music videos, which seemed to encompass pretty much every major aircraft engagment in the movie... I read up on the storyline, and since I hate the new-ageist spin the later episodes took, I'm none too keen to actually watch the whole thing.

The fights were great, though! :cool:

The VF-0 could be a serious pain in the neck... Aerodynamically, it's rather inferior to the SV or YF-22... Probably even worse than the YF-19, which is saying something. ;)

I do wish somebody would build one, though, so I could out-fly it with my SV, thereby demonstrating the inherent superiority of the Russian/Israeli design. :D

Speaking of which, I managed to slightly damage the airframe again... The new center of gravity was too far back, which resulted in a bit of a disaster. It's been fixed though, and is awaiting another test, tomorrow morning.

~Luke

Still crashing along, though this morning I made some major progress in figuring out the peculiar aerodynamics of the airframe.

I logged another extremely short flight on Saturday, with the same loss of pitch response as the airspeed increased. As far as I can tell, this problem arises due to the unfortunate combination of the use of flat-bottomed airfoils on the stabilizers, the abnormally large size of said surfaces, and the unusual angles at which they are mounted.

These three things combine to create a nose-down pitching force, as the speed of the aircraft increases. The final nail in the coffin is the fact that as the nose pitches down, the aircraft gains even more speed, thus causing further pitching, etc...

On the bright side, there are several possible means to fix this problem, all of which are quite straightforward to implement.

I hope to have enough time to get the modifications fielded by Friday.

~Luke

Edited by IAD

Fially able to study the videos closely(on hugescreen tv) I can clearly see the problem you are talking about and your solution seems spot on. I so want one of these, And there are plenty of huge SOFT grassy fields here in the UK to practaice on :D I hope you find simple solutions for the problems your experiencing.

On the matter of wing mounted ordnance those could cause alot of other CG and roll issues.

Yes, I would definitely make the underwing stores removable, just in case they foul the wings too much. Seems the outermost pods are almost mandatory for the SV, though.

I've seen video clips from other RC flyers in the UK... Your fields are so nice........ All we have around here (CT, USA) is a bunch of weedy fields... Or fields where people don't want you flying. :( The weeds are good for crash landing in, though. ;)

~Luke

Well Luke, hands down. I'm very impressed with the way you hang on to this stability nightmare. I'm nowhere near your league in aerodynamics but the whole discussion on 'your' board about the possible solution I'm going to add my 0.02$. please feel free to dismiss them as stupid, but might a simple "spoiler" effect on the main wing (near the dogtooth) help with disrupting the airflow and return the effect of the TV Vanes? I had a similar prob with a lowwing plane I beefed up (6.5cc FSR ABC instead of an 2.5cc :o. Simply added a strip of balsa wood near the dog tooth and the problem was solved. Also a exponantial coupling between canards and vanes might help. AsI fear a very touchy plane on higher speeds. It's been a long time since I took control of an RC plane, so I could be entirely wrong :wacko:

But man, what a beautifull sight in the air :wub:

I noticed on the other site that you said the VT was the only thing keeping this model flyable. Do you think that the controlability will drastically improve now that the canards are in use. It seems like it will since now you will have a moveable control surface near the nose where its needed most considering the pitch problem you had before. It seems like making those moveable was the lynchpin to solving most if not all of your pitch worries. I hope your test flight goes well tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

BTW have you considered submiting an article to R/C Flyer magazines. I was talking to a coworker who also flies R/C and he has never seen anything like what you are accomplishing. What you are doing would be groundbreaking to alot of people.

Wow, just looked at this thread for the first time. Absolutely amazing SV-51. Hope you can take and post some video clips of the thing in flight.

Graham

328841[/snapback]

He has...

here:

http://home.comcast.net/~nsknews/SV...hCompressed.AVI

and here:

http://home.comcast.net/~we-shoppe/SV-513tries.avi

I can't wait to see more...

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww