3rd Super Robot Wars Alpha latest pics

ogami

Escaflowne was featured in Super Robot Wars Compat 3 for the Wonderswam.

If you look up SRW@2 or 3 on gamesfaq, theres a Robot Series faq that lists every series to ever be featured in the games.

398438[/snapback]

Damn... now I need a WonderSwan.

398445[/snapback]

a what?

398677[/snapback]

Its NEC or Bandai's handheld that was developed by Gumpei Yokoi after he left Nintendo. Yokoi was the guy responsible for the creation of the Gameboy. He died soon after creating the Wonderswan when he was hit by a car while trying to assist a motorist that was on the side of the road who had problems with her car.

Escaflowne was featured in Super Robot Wars Compat 3 for the Wonderswam.

If you look up SRW@2 or 3 on gamesfaq, theres a Robot Series faq that lists every series to ever be featured in the games.

398438[/snapback]

Damn... now I need a WonderSwan.

398445[/snapback]

a what?

398677[/snapback]

Its NEC or Bandai's handheld that was developed by Gumpei Yokoi after he left Nintendo. Yokoi was the guy responsible for the creation of the Gameboy. He died soon after creating the Wonderswan when he was hit by a car while trying to assist a motorist that was on the side of the road who had problems with her car.

398718[/snapback]

Bandai. NEC's was the TurboExpress/PCEngine GT and PCEngine LT.

Aww, shid... he got hit being a good samaritan? I'd never heard that part before, just that he got run over...

Rumminging Wikipedia says he was helping at a car accident. Irony.

And for those wondering, Yokoi left Nintendo because after creating the Game&Watch(and the cross-key gamepad), Metroid, the GameBoy, and teaching Shigeru Miyamoto everything he knows(Miyamoto was working under Yokoi's guidance when he created his first games), he created... the VirtualBoy.

Yokoi was given what is referred to as the "window seat" in Japanese business over at Nintendo following the Virtual Boy fiasco. After sitting there for a year or so doing stuff that was totally irrelevant, he left.

The details of his death are actually pretty bad, from what I read in an article, he got sandwiched between the car of the person he was helping and another car in traffic.

Yokoi was given what is referred to as the "window seat" in Japanese business over at Nintendo following the Virtual Boy fiasco.  After sitting there for a year or so doing stuff that was totally irrelevant, he left.

The details of his death are actually pretty bad, from what I read in an article, he got sandwiched between the car of the person he was helping and another car in traffic.

398769[/snapback]

Yah on both counts.

The massive backlash from the VB means it's probably the only system Nintendo's ever lost money on.

And really, it was a good idea, but the tech wasn't quite there yet.

You have to admire that Nintendo is willing to go out on a limb with the Wii, lesser companies would have been petrified to take risks after a failure like Virtual Boy.

Then again, I still wonder why it took them so long to move over to CDROM, given their penchant for innovation.

You have to admire that Nintendo is willing to go out on a limb with the Wii, lesser companies would have been petrified to take risks after a failure like Virtual Boy.

They're sure it'll turn a profit. I'm betting it's been heavily test-marketed already.

Then again, I still wonder why it took them so long to move over to CDROM, given their penchant for innovation.

398808[/snapback]

They actually skipped CD-ROM totally and went straight to DVD on the GameCube.

But it all goes back to the SPC700 sound module in the SNES. Sony made it. Actually, Kutaragi(yes, Mr. "PS3 is not for households" Kutaragi) designed it after hearing the abysmal sound on his daughter's new Famicom, and then talked Sony into pitching it to Nintendo for their next-gen system. They did, and Nintendo liked it enough to buy it.

All good so far, right?

Part of the license Nintendo signed with Sony was that Sony got publication rights for any Nintendo CD products. At the time, they were thinking sound tracks. Games were on ROM carts, and disks weren't practical.

When they started designing the SNES CD with Philips, Sony pointed out that that publication clause in the contract would extend to CD software. So Sony wound up being involved in the hardware design.

THEN they got into disputes over the actual software licensing policies. Sony had the rights, so they could do whatever they wanted. And Sony wanted to open the floodgates. They were making it very clear that ANYONE that paid them a licensing fee WOULD get their game published. Nintendo didn't like that. They might not have had the strictest quality control standards, but they DID have standards.

Nintendo couldn't talk Sony out of it, so they canned the SNESCD project, and never made a CD-ROM unit.