The Dark Tower

bsu legato

Hile, Gunsligers! To Me!!

Aside from myself and Isamu, has anybody here read Wolves of the Calla yet? Or have you all forgotten the faces of your fathers?

you finally read it? did you like it??!!! this book and the DaVinci code were the best books i read all last year!!

man i am so ready for the next two to come out its not even funny.

If you haven't read this book yet, or any of the Gunslinger books,

May your first day in hell be ten thousand years, and may that be the shortest.

Hooray for the Sisters of Oriza!! :lol:

Hearts in Atlantis makes reference to the Dark Tower series as well.

and Black House makes reference to Ted Branaghan and what the breakers like him do....apparently Tyler Marshall was even stronger.

So what exactly do the breakers do anyway? I don't have time to find that Black House Book at the moment.

So what exactly do the breakers do anyway? I don't have time to find that Black House Book at the moment.

Spoiler....

ok, I haven't actually read Black House yet, but what I've gleaned from WOTC and other sources is that "breakers" are used by the Crimson King to literally break the beams that support the Dark Tower itself.

you finally read it? did you like it??!!! this book and the DaVinci code were the best books i read all last year!!

Yep. I got a copy for Xmas, and I was through it by the 27th. I thought it was a great addition to the series, and is probably my second favorite (the original Gunslinger takes 1st place). I'd read Salem's Lot over the summer, so I really enjoyed meeting up with Father Callahan again. My only niggling concern is the addition of *spoiler*

Stephen King, the author himself, to the story. I'll reserve judgement until I read Song of Susannah, but I think it'll either work really well or it'll fall flat on it's face. I don't know if something like that can have any middle ground.

Must... stay... out... of... conversation....

Arggh... I picked up Wolves of the Calla at Christmas and decided to re-read the previous 4 before diving in. Of course, now I'm halfway through Wizard and Glass and I'm dying to get into the new stuff. Don't want to spoiler myself, though.

I'll check back on this thread in about a week. ;)

Yep. I got a copy for Xmas, and I was through it by the 27th. I thought it was a great addition to the series, and is probably my second favorite (the original Gunslinger takes 1st place). I'd read Salem's Lot over the summer, so I really enjoyed meeting up with Father Callahan again. My only niggling concern is the addition of *spoiler*

Stephen King, the author himself, to the story. I'll reserve judgement until I read Song of Susannah, but I think it'll either work really well or it'll fall flat on it's face. I don't know if something like that can have any middle ground.

yep that was my concern as well. ;)

Spoiler....

ok, I haven't actually read Black House yet, but what I've gleaned from WOTC and other sources is that "breakers" are used by the Crimson King to literally break the beams that support the Dark Tower itself.

thats exactly what they do. very few of the beams are still intact, and thats how the crimson king is trying to destroy the tower, by breaking the beams. in Black House, they almost broke another beam, but Tyler Marshall managed to destroy the breaker station and free the slaves used to break the beams. apparenty, these breaking stations are in End-world, and are very close to the tower itself, at leats thats how i read it.

• 3 weeks later...

good lord, I finally finished rereading the entire series, now I'm rereading The Talisman to catch up with all that happens in The Black House... then I'll probably reread 'Salem's Lot and Insomnia. Mayhap by then Song of Susannah will be out.

All that being said, Wolves of the Calla is a damn fine book. King's ability to use accent and regional dialect is frighteningly good. Particularly when you're rereading and you go from being immersed in Meijis-talk to Calla folken speak.

My favorite is still the original Gunslinger - like Hiriyu said - it did have a certain uniqueness to all of King's other work that I enjoyed thoroughly. But I can also see why it needed revision as the rest of the Tower story has taken on its own life.

My other favorite is Wizard and Glass, or more specifically, the majority of W&G, featuring Roland, Cuthbert, and Alain... I hope that the next books tell more of the battle of Jericho Hill.

As for where the whole saga is going... I'm a bit concerned over the presence (or over-presence) of Father Callahan - his backstory was a bit digressive (one of King's weaknesses) from the main narrative. Plus, the revelation at the end that leads into SK himself as a character is potentially over the top.

I read Salem's Lot this summer, and it was interesting to contrast it (one of his earliest books) to those he's written over the past 15 years. Comapred to his current style and pacing, Lot positively races along the narrative. Father Callahan doesn't really get introduced until 2/3 of the way through the book for pete's sake!! Were he to write Salem's Lot today it would have been twice as long, we'd have several chapters devoted to developing Callahan and the other characters, and one character would probably have some kind of bizarre fettish.

The Lot was definately different from Kings newer material. yes the pacing was different, but i also found it to be quite frightening in parts. i still hold it as one of his best, even though it has been eclipsed by Black House, Talisman, and the Dark Tower Books.

Glad you liked the books, Blaine. good stuff. I personally loved the Talisman and the Black House, and i think you'll like them as well. it would be great to see Jack and Speedy again, just as it would be to catch up with old Wolf, who is supposed to come back like the Moon. after all, there ARE other doors... :D

I'm With Blaine on wishing to see more of Jericho Hill and finding out how Roland alone survived against the Good Man's overwhelming odds.

Say Thankya, Thankya big!!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm actually resisting the 1st chapter because that'll make the wait unbearable for me...

Instead I've re-read (or audiobooked) all of the major Tower tie-ins - Little Sisters of Eluria, Talisman & Black House, Salem's Lot, Insomnia, and I'm finishing up Hearts In Atlantis.

Great stuff... can't wait for Song of Susannah... and the British covers rock the house - even though I love Whelan, his 7 cover isn't doing it for me.

Sweet! according to Stephen King's Website, theres gonna be a Talisman movie in 2005!

does anyone know if theres a way to get the british covers somewhere?

Talisman movies' been discussed quite a bit on Ain't It Cool News. Apparently Ed Zwick (Last Samurai) is directing, Spielberg producing, and they're currently rewriting the script, so it might not be that soon... but it's a good thing because the old script apparently hugged nuts and mangled up the story pretty bad.

As for how to buy the UK versions - Amazon UK.

I'm glad that Zwick is making a pass on the Talisman screenplay, because fom what I'd read it did indeed suck big floppy donkey dick. icon8.gif Which reminds me, I need to look for a used copy of The Black House this weekend.

The UK covers are indeed better than the covers we'll be getting here, but I'd still prefer the north american version of Book 7 just for the Whelan paintings. Even if the cover is a little "meh" I'm still optimistic that the rest of the paintings will deliver.

• 2 weeks later...