A question for the comic book guys on the board:

Ok,

I'm contemplating self-publishing a role-playing game that I've been working off and on for the last few years. I finally decided to sit down, collect my various notes and mental thoughts together and being actually hashing things out. I'm currently checking on things like copyright and trademark costs as well as cost of publishing a comic-book style version (mostly for cost efficiency). Things, as they say, ain't cheap.

The big stumbling block will be artwork. While I can do some of it myself, it will take me forever and a day. Thankfully it will not require mechanically oriented art (since its a low-fantasy/faerie-story/mythological based game). I intend on having a colour cover and have already found someone to do that for me. Its the internal artwork I'm worried about.

I grew up on D&D Basic and AD&D 1st Edition and I'm still a fan of b&w illos. So much of the artwork done in RPGs these days is slop in my opinion. While its nice and colourful, it lacks soul in my opinion.

Does anyone know what the current industry standard (or how to find it) for paying an artist for b&w illos? I apologize for putting anyone on the spot. Any help that can be rendered would be much appreciated.

ask around your local colleges or comic book shops

put up a wanted ad

ask for samples

you'll have a butt load of responses

but the best work is the kind you pay for

write a contract illustrating what the workings of $ will be

i would volunteer but i'm already working on too much as is

good luck :D