have about a MacrossWorld Hub ?

Get Free

There is one single topic about macross hubs and no one have answered.

I dont know of any Macross/Robotech Hub either and I think this community have enough potential to create one.

This message goes to people that can run a server somewhere (possibly at their home), people like those that run iMacross Servers.

FTP servers are not bad, but a Direct Connect Hub server is much better and it takes less bandwidth than a IRC server.

A Hub have several advantages like you can share stuff with several (hundreds) users. An FTP server takes your whole bandwidth and you can have very few users connected at the same time.

A hub is a P2P network with its own chat room where you can talk and share your files with any other member of the community.

And once again, a Hub Server takes just about nothing from your bandwidth.

So I'm wondering why people running iMacross servers dont run a Direct Connect hub instead.

I would run the Hub myself to serve this big community but I'm on dial-up so I cant stay online 24/7.

What do MW staff think about it??

the cost of running a MacrossWorld Hub would be minimal.

:( well, not a single reply in 4 days so I guess nobody is interested in sharing and chatting.

I just thought that a Hub would make this community more active, seeing that FTP servers just to download files is too passive.

I dont know if people here understand what I'm suggesting. May be that's why there is no replies.

Anyway, you can ask anything if my post wasn't clear enough.

http://www.slyck.com/dc.php

A few notes:

Files....There isn't much Macross to share that people will dive in for. SDFM and M+ are licensed in the country where MW's server exist and I don't think we want Macrossworld to have it's name tagged with anybody who would be sharing licensed material. Also, what about the person who just wants a few things and doesn't have much to share? Mp3s are what most people go for and there only a few popular ones that usually get downloaded many times. And most of those are already on other P2P networks and other hubs.

.NET framework - Current versions use it. Not that I'm bashing MS, it's usefulness or anything but.....it might not be a good idea to have additional baggage with your install of DC.

Multi-source downloads - Still not supported by DC core development yet. This is a useful point to have as it does increase download speeds (like Bittorrent which uses Multi-source/swarming for downloading/uploading) at the cost of network performance. So your speeds are dependent on who you download from. Although there are mods for this, the standard client does not support it yet.

We tried the whole IRC-channel-thing....Not enough people and not many people hung around. Not that a DC hub isn't a great idea, we just don't have a great amount to share that isn't already shared on other networks/apps.

Well, copyrighted material is already been shared in iMacross servers.

My main point is that the same people running iMacross Servers could run a DC Hub instead. There would be no difference about what is been shared and the server owner could save a lot of bandwidth since several people connecting to the hub share their files with each other.

and the .NET framework is not a problem. Most people already have it installed on their PCs but they dont even know that. Windows XP include it by default.

Besides there is several DC client clones (DC++, oDC, DCGUI) that doesnt need .NET so that is not a problem at all.

So, I tried a couple of software direct connect hub softwares and couldn't make them work.

"runtime error 339" on neomodus direct connect hub v1 hub and "socket error cannot connect" on v2.

I have xp pro sp2 with dlink 524 router.

Any other suggestions for a direct connect hub?

imacross4 back online

no more computer upgrades for a long while

Direct Connect networks works under the well know Client-Server model.

So for people running FTP servers there isn't anything new about this.

http://www.neo-modus.com/?page=Download

The server:

you can install one of these:

Direct Connect Hub (v1.0): this one needs you to install the client too (an old version that aparently isn't available any more) and works since Win98 at least (I dont know about win95). I tried this one and is very simple to use.

Direct Connect Hub (v2.0): this one works on Windows NT/2K/XP only and it doesn't need the client to work.

look here for other hub software: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6545

The client:

I dont recommend tu use the official DC client since it have ads and some restrictions. Instead use a DC client clone such as DC++ or oDC. I dont recommend to use latest versions of DC++ either since it scan your hole share directory to hash the files. The good ones are DC++ v0.306 and earlier or oDC any version.

Edited by Get Free

hello macross fans,

imacross4 is almost a direct connect hub. The files are being "hashed", so that could take an hour or so.

Bear with me, since I haven't done this before. I'm checking to see what files are available for uploading and downloading on imacross4.myftp.org.

I think I have to register each user as they come online, but I'm not sure.

So, if I can get this to work then trading files won't be a one way event, since anybody could trade with anybody else while on the hub.

I'll post again when I can see this hub working. B))

Excellent, boinger. You've got pretty well the idea of a hub. Thanx man.

As you said hashing files take a lot of time. That's why I dont recommend to use latest version of DC/DC++. oDC has many more features and doesn't hash files so it's more easy to add and delete new share folders.

About registering users, a hub can be public or private. If it is public anyone can enter without any login process. If it is private then users need username and password to enter.

May be as a start you could run it public so it is easier to enter. But if people start to get online as hell may be a private hub would be better.

And I guess the address to get online will be this one imacross4.myftp.org, right?

seeya, I hope it works.

Edited by Get Free

imacross 4 direct connect hub online

for connecting on dc++ client software:

settings:

connection settings:

"click" active

type in imacross4.myftp.org

tcp port: 1413

udp port: 1413

favorite hub properties:

name: imacross4

address: imacross4.myftp.org

nick: macrossworld name

password: (no password for now)

let's see if this works

*****'

1 kilobyte minimum share under your share folder or else the direct connect hub won't let you log on.

direct connect ++ .306 recommended

(((((((((((

I found I had to open my router firewall ports for the connection settings to be checked for "active" otherwise checking "passive" connection worked.

Edited by boinger