How great are the Bandai 1/72 VF-1's?

The White Comet

Im in the process of moving to a smaller place right now and i need to make my collection smaller. Ive decided to go the route of ebay for doing this. My dilemma is that i want to get the Yamato 1/48 Armored VF-1J when it comes out but i know its going to be big. To make room im thinking of selling All 5 of my Bandai 1/72 transformable VF-1 model kits. This includes VF-1S Skull, VF-1J Max, VF-1J Millia, VF-1A cannon fodder, and the VF-1D. In my opinion i only need one ultimate transformable version of the VF-1 which will be the 1/48 Armored VF-1J. A model should be non transformable but look really good in the designation that its in like the Hasegawa VF-1's. My question is are the Bandai 1/72 VF-1's really that great that they are worth keeping?

Well, first of all you got to know that the Yammie is a toy and the BanDai's you have are models. Some folks here on the forum take this very seriously when it comes to toy/model issues :lol:

Second, the BanDai model kits are actually molds bought from Imai when they went bankrupt (or at least lost their Big West license). These molds were made and designed in the early '80s and we are now decades after and technologies have since made great advances! Just take a look at the Hasegawa kits and compare them with a fixed posed kit from the '80s!

Also, you have to take into account that the model kits were all hand designed and sculpted while the Yammie 1/48 was done with with computer!

In the end though it really depends on your flavour, some of us like to go back down the nostalgia lane and prefer the bulkier and chunkier valks. While others, the more perfectionists will for sure go for the newcomer stuff, such as the Yammie 1/48...which you can play with for ages and do not break, not to mention you do not have to deal with building it!

Just my two cents, Andy :)

The 1/72 variable kits were good for their time, but with advances in model technology and design, they are looking increasingly dated these days. One of the best things about the 1/72 kits is the beautiful classic box art IMO.

I've owned several of them over the past 20 years and before the deluge of new VF-1 toys from Yamato/Bandai/Banpresto/Toynami, the old 1/72 kits were a great poor man's alternative to the old Takatoku/Bandai 1/55 toys from the 80s.

As others have stated, if you want a good variable VF-1 these days, the Yamato 1/48 is really the only way to go.

For non transforming VF-1 model kits, the Hasegawa Fighter and Battroid mode kits are king of the hill. Just a pity Hasegawa has yet to release any Gerwalk mode kits.

Graham

I guess if you´re only after the best possible models/toys it makes of course sense to sell all the Bandais. When the Hases came out they outclassed the old Imai/Bandai and I too wondered what to do with all the old stuff.

Well I decided to keep them because they are really not all that bad. As a modeler I do not want to have them transformable (built three of them in the 80s - of course paint chipped and parts were falling off/breaking constantly) - but with Hase obviously not intersted in making Gerwalks I will either build them in this mode or at least use arms and legs with a Hase fighter.

The VF-1 is a cool design but with its inconsistencies in proportions from one mode to another there is much room for interpretation, so the sleek Hase is not necessarily the only proper depiction. If you remove/rebuild/thin down all those unnecessary parts only meant for transformation I say you are getting a fine looking Gerwalk in the end. And it has recessed panel lines, cockpit detail and missiles so its detailing will not be too bad compared to a Hase.

So that is just my opinion and many will say the old kits are not worth the effort, but consider your shelf with all the Valks but none in Gerwalk mode (unless you keep your Yammie in that mode all the time). I´d keep at least one of the Bandais just to have the choice...

Guest Bromgrev
Well I decided to keep them because they are really not all that bad. As a modeler I do not want to have them transformable (built three of them in the 80s - of course paint chipped and parts were falling off/breaking constantly) - but with Hase obviously not intersted in making Gerwalks I will either build them in this mode or at least use arms and legs with a Hase fighter.

Precisely. After a brief flirtation with building transforming Valkyrie models, I soon decided that deciding on the pose and then fixing it was the way forward. Toys are definitely the thing if you want transforming mecha.

IMO, ハセガワ has the right idea with fixed-mode kits, saves a lot of hassle getting rid of bits you don't need if you're not going to transform. Plus, they get to sell 3 times as many kits to us Macross groupies. Can't wait to get my hands on some Hasegawa battroids next time I hit the toy shops of Hong Kong! I live in hope that a gerwalk will come one day. :unsure: