Making my 1/48 look purdy

robbobtuso

Just a quick question for all of ya out there, when applying the stickers to the yamato 1/48, do any of you feel that it is necessary to cut the UN Spacy kite sticker in half when applying it over the side of the cockpit to prevent it from stretching. We all know that the plastic on the sides tends to spread when you pull out the nose landing gear. I've seen it both ways (uncut and cut), so whats the consensus out there. Any suggestions would be much appreciated since I bought takatoys sticker sheets and am hesitant to apply them yet. Also any other insights to applying the stickers would be great cause I am stupid when it comes to this stuff and need all the help I can get. :blink:

a cut would be visually ooky (ooky is a technical term, so there!)

I have not cut, if you put those little white round stickers (from yamato sheet) down and the cover them with your custom stickers I think it will be fine. :ph34r:

Edited by DrClay

The cut-sticker technique actually works just fine on the VF-1S, and is barely noticeable, unless you happen to love admiring your valks from 2 inches away all the time. I used the Yammie sticker sheet, and given the horrid quality of THOSE decals, I can only deduce that the TakaToys ones will look 1,000 times better.

Add the kite decals in fighter mode, and rub them down a few times to make sure they've adhered properly. Using a really sharp X-acto knife, start cutting OUTSIDE of the decal. run the knife through the seam line, and gently pull it through the sticker. Rub the decal a few more times after cutting, then open the landing gear and rub again. Assuming that you cut slowly, the cut-line will be pretty much invisible in fighter and battroid modes. You also have the added bonus of not having to perform invasive surgery on your robot.

I sure did say "rub' alot in this post.

I put a Takatoys kite sticker over the gap for my VF-1S Roy. Even after repeatedly deploying the gear, the sticker seems to have suffered no ill-effects. So, My advice would be to try it without cutting it. . . and then if the cut becomes necessary, go for it. And there are some extra kites provided in the bonus area of the Takatoys sheet. So, if the sticker needs replacing, you can do that too.

H

Hey robbobtuso, the steps I take for applying Takatoys stickers are:

1. Use a clean rag with water, a few drops of dishwashing soap, wipe the valk of oil and mold release agents. Use a second rag with only water to clean the valk of soap and then dry with a third rag. This will get you the best surface for adhesion.

2. Use scissors and a hobby knife (used with a ruler) to cut each mark. Tweezers come in very handy for placement. A toothpick to press stickers into panel lines.

3. Finally, use your fingers to firmly press the sticker into place.

I have NOT cut any of my U.N. Spacy kite emblems on the fuselage and they still are on there. I also don't think that sanding down the top of the landing gear to get rid of the gap in the fuselage is a good idea. Especially if you plan on attaching some FPs on your valk.