Patlabor technical question

Akilae

Just saw these in CD Japan's clearance section:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-1847

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-1848

Anyone know much about them?

Appears to be "fan discs" with production/behind the scenes coverage of the movies/shows listed.

The 2nd DVD is only 100 minutes long. No way can the OVA and TV series be squeezed into 100 minutes on 1 disc.

Just to add to this slightly...

After some research, the closest to a 37 mm I could find would be the 40 mm Bofors... the Russians produced a 37 mm AA gun that was based on the Bofors, but somehow I don't think that obscure a caliber would be used for reference...

oh yeah, anybody know anything about the attack choppers they used in both movies? MAHQ doesn't seem to have anything on it...

• 2 weeks later...

My question is why they use revolvers? Wouldn't a gun with a magazine easier to use since I am sure the other leg can hold more ammo seen in the 1st movie. If using magazines, the Patlabor can probably double or triple it ammo load.

After watching the 29 of the 34 episodes, I find some episodes really suck because they are boring but I find some episodes really hilarious and action packed. (I really liked the episode called Ota's afternoon of Confusion.) Overall I like all the characters on Patlabor.

My question is why they use revolvers? Wouldn't a gun with a magazine easier to use since I am sure the other leg can hold more ammo seen in the 1st movie. If using magazines, the Patlabor can probably double or triple it ammo load.

After watching the 29 of the 34 episodes, I find some episodes really suck because they are boring but I find some episodes really hilarious and action packed. (I really liked the episode called Ota's afternoon of Confusion.) Overall I like all the characters on Patlabor.

6 shooters the icon for police forces.

Theres a number of reasons. Styling is almost certainly the first consideration - it wouldn't be a Police mecha without a revolver. :lol:

For more practical reasons - if you accept the 37mm calibre as being suitable for grenade launching (with apologies to those who have pointed out, quite rightly, the differences in shell types), a revolver is good for carrying mixed loads of riot rounds - baton rounds, tear gas, rubber bullets etc.

The next reason is that, for the most part, its simply not neccesary - these are Police mecha, not tanks. They're for dealing with out-of-control civilians who don't know what they're doing, not hosing down the neighbourhood. Its not Section 2s fault that their captain keeps poking their noses in where they doesn't belong... ;)

Police officers also have to account for every bullet fired (okay, except for Ota!). Japan is not, generally, a very gun-centred culture...

It should also be noted that Revolvers are 100% reliable... get a bad round in a revolver and just pull the trigger again. Self-loading pistols, no matter how well made, are prone to jams and misfeeds as well as if you get a bad round you must clear it by hand by cycling the action.

It's also not like there are no self-loaders in Patlabor... the one new police labor had a pistol that looked like .44 Automag and the Brockens sport MPL looking SMG weapons.

True about the revolver. But in Patlabor: The Movie, Ota and Noa definitely needed more that 6 shots to fight off all the Labors going crazy in the Ark. The advantage in having a magazine would me more shots can be fired and you can easily carry more. If the terrorists in the Patlabor were smart, they would at least get together and steal a bunch of labors to create havoc in which it would over come Special Vehicles Division 1 and 2.

Also in the Patlabor 2, did they expand more divisions for Patlabors?

True about the revolver. But in Patlabor: The Movie, Ota and Noa definitely needed more that 6 shots to fight off all the Labors going crazy in the Ark. The advantage in having a magazine would me more shots can be fired and you can easily carry more.

Yes, but... :p The designers of the Ingram did not intend for it to take on a whole fortress full of berserk Labors. At the design meetings, it probably never occurred to them! The only reason Section 2 found themselves in that situation is because their Captain got them into it - they couldn't give Shinohara Industries a ring and ask them to provide them with a high capacity Labor-shredding weapon because they weren't supposed to be there!. :rolleyes: They had to go with what they had - and what they had was revolvers, and shotguns (which I believe weren't part of the original specification either - they were designed by one of Section 2s members. You may recall, from the TV series, I think they only ever use the shotguns once, and thats because they're going up against the Griffon).

I can't remember if there are more Police Labor sections for the second movie; the original Section 2 were pretty split up by then and only bought back together by Captain Goto. Section 2 still seems to exist, but with new equipment and presumably new members (you may recall it getting shot up by the gunships... )

It should also be noted that Revolvers are 100% reliable... get a bad round in a revolver and just pull the trigger again. Self-loading pistols, no matter how well made, are prone to jams and misfeeds as well as if you get a bad round you must clear it by hand by cycling the action.

It's also not like there are no self-loaders in Patlabor... the one new police labor had a pistol that looked like .44 Automag and the Brockens sport MPL looking SMG weapons.

Yeah its just a styleistic thing to use a revolver...but really a purpose built and designed weapon that is integrated into the labor itself would serve better...maybe store it in the forearm, and when needed it can be flipped around (replaceing the hand, which would then occupy the forearm storeage space)...would reduce the risk of it getting knocked out of the labors hand and such, plus improve accuricy by removeing the risk of an ill functioning or damaged labor hand operateing the weapon (thus reduce potential unwarrented damage)...and with the proper design you could still have a number of different, swappable even, weapon packages. Even the ability to carry and load special shells, while still haveing the ability and functionality of a labors hand when the weapon isn't called for (not like a hand holding the weapon could be used for much else at the same time, anyway)