How to clean air brush

aaajin

Hi,

Its me again....I'm really really is a new-newbie in modelling.....sorry if this question sounds too ignorant....but how do we clean air brush after airbrushing...

I've read WM Cheng's tips...but I just cant figure it out...do we have to dissemble it before soaking it into the thinner? Or do we just soak the whole thing?

What I just did just now is ...I remove the head of the airbrush...(the crown shaped thing)...and then I just soak the head together with the airbrush in a tupperware filled with thinner. Is this the right way?

And then after soaking it with the thinner, what should I do?

Thanks in advance,

aaajin

PS : Ive tried the search...but since "clean airbrush" prolly is just too common words...the search turned out 0 result...

Edited by aaajin

What kinds of paints were you spraying? If you sprayed enamels, you can clean the brush by spraying the cleaning thinner (its stronger than the "thinning" thinner) through the brush.

After its mostly clean, take it apart and soak the head. Rinse and wipe clean. Reassemble and spray thinner through again before using.

If you were spraying acrylics, even better. Get those BIG gallon refills of windex and spray that straight through the brush until fairly clear.

You might want to put a cloth up to the tip (block it temporarily), spray full blast to knock any harden paint loose, then spray it out without the cloth.

Take apart, soak, rinse it, wipe down, assemble spray again and re-use.

Also try searching for airbrush instead.

In my experience with acrylics, Neova is right. Windex cleans it out really well. You usually shouldn't have to totally disassemble the brush every time you use it. I usually run the Windex through, then take out the needle, wipe it off and reinsert it. That's usually it.

I haven't airbrushed with enamels in quite a while just because clean up is a bit more annoying.

Edited by Mule

I used to be afraid of completely taking apart my airbrush (Badger 150), but once I actually tried it, it was no problem. They're designed to be dis- and re-assembled.

I agree with the other posters, though; if you're using acrylics, you shouldn't need to pull the brush apart. Blasting some Windex through it works fine. At most, just pull the head off and soak it for a little while.

Normally if I clean up my Badger (150) I completely disasamble it (head, needle) and cup AFTER I sprayed it liberally with the appropriate thinner. Then use some paper or cloth damp with thinner and clean the parts. After re assemble en spray it again throught with thinner. Maybe overkill ;) , but my badger is 6 years old ans tstill working fine

Oja, when I plan on using it very soon again I only let it soak in thinner, not so time consuming :lol: