New Anime - Jinki Extend

Fort Max

I just got done watching the first epsiode of new anime series "Jinki Extend" after the title caught my eye on animesukis frontpage list.

It's based on a manga according to ANNs info archive by other then that it seems all new, or does it? :p

Watching the first epsiode I couldn't help but notice how many similarities there were to what seems to have become the formula for those hoping to follow after Evas success, you've got the little helpless kid who is needed by figures who sit around a big flashy table and hide in halflights and all the foreshadowing and hinting at things to come you'd expect and don't forget the modern art monsters of course. (The kid is even painting at the start like Ayato from Rahxephon.)

Where this series differs is in the mecha itself, unlike eva the lead mecha here isn't mysterious or alien in it's appearence. It's purely mechanical and is found just sitting around out side a hangar, no mechadramtic launch sequences here.

It doesn't show any signs of life or unexplicably save the girls life in the nick of time either. In fact save for a beam cannon finishing move the mecha is very relaistic and wholly convincing like Gundams used to be or perhaps full Metal Panics asthetically pleasing but semi realistic Arbalest would be a better comparsion.

The strange thing (to me at least) is that I found this unmysterious, completely lifeless mecha more intriguing then the"yes, I get it, it's alive" "machines" of Eva and it's peers and imitators and I'm interetsed in how the story will progress without a reliance on the machine to drive the narrative. Will it *gasp* actually focus on the pilots and what they have to do or will it turn around and reintroduce them back into the dreaded high school setting with the usual ups and downs of school life to entertain us.

Right now as it stands, it shows real promise to be this seasons "must see" arty mecha show. But lets hear your opinions, something refreshing or just another rehash?

Check it out here, http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/545.html :D