1/100 Spartan Upgrade kit

Myersjessee

Here's one more thing I have been meaning to do for weeks: :(:blink::unsure:

When Gundamhead sent me the Spiderbug kit, he also sent along a cool little 1/100 Destroid upgrade kit he completed for the 1/100 Spartan kit. To be frank, while interested I didnt think much of it at first. Then, I finally got a second to check out the original vs his upgrade kit.

Now, if your like me, you may have picked up the 1/100 destroids cheaply on Ebay, or MW. Then, you looked at them...where not thrilled with the poseability and quality and set it aside for a rainy day. Thats exactly what I did...but I couldn't put my finger on what I would have needed to do to fix the kit. I think Joe took a huge leap forward with just some very simple mods.

First...the original kit.

orig1.jpg

and

orig2.jpg

Couple things to note. Joe comment to me was "It looks like it has ridden to many miles on a horse! " :o:p:D

It doesn't look active, or powerful like it should. Its decent enough...just not great. The hands are incredibly lame and useless as well...which was always a differentiating point for the Spartan over the gun/missile armed Tomohawk, Spartan, Defender, and Monster...they should have been more special.

new4.jpg

So...whats the difference? Well...for those of you like me to whom it wasn't obvious...well...its simple. He completely redid and resculpted new:

Hips

Hands

and a Center cannon (The Chest cannon was part of the Spartans major leathal force! )

The hands are different too, with one in a fist, and the other 2 pieces with a seperate thumb, so it can hold onto:

So...I just wanted to share what I thought was a cool little upgrade. I really wish I had the talant to visualize and create these types of changes...but I keep hoping someday with practice I will...until then Ill envy all the talanted people here.

For those interested ...here is the kit.

cannon

cannon.jpg

club

club.jpg

parts

parts.jpg

Its a really cool little thing! Nice work Gundamhead...I can't wait to see what you unveil next!

For anyone interested. I have made some molds of the originals and will have a limited number of kits available for sale in the for sale thread here:

LINK

Edited by Myersjessee

What would make this kit for me better is Conversion to open Missle doors and show missles. Now if you want I can try to work on something, i would like too, I just need pics of the spartin missles.

Thats a really good point....there would need to be a hing point added to the doors, (since they currently sit flush) but there would be space to add them... Someone will definitly need to make that add on as well. That would be cool.

Thanks Rob..Joe definitly made a sweet little kit...and so simple!

Hey Jessee I found this Image of the Spartin and Tomahawk Rapier missle. Let me get to my local hobby store and buy some Supplies. I maybe able to scupt this from some Plastic Styrene or wooden stick. It could be made 1/100 or even 1/72. I would like to give it a try.

rapier2.jpg

15 years ago when I built this Spartin I was able to cut away the Shoulder doors and Use a plastic sheet of styrene to Make a Missle bay. Then i just cut the small white rubber pegs to the Game Battleship. I am sure you all know the game and Supper glued them to the styrene I had mounted into the shoulder bay. I then made 2 door supports to hold the door open. I wish I thought to sculpt the Missles from a plastic Styrene rod. For a project of this now. I would not need to add the fins to the missle just shape it and creat place for the missles to attach. So give me a few days since the hobby shop I got to is closed on Sundays. I will buy Plastic PVC or Styrene and some wood and see if I cant sculpt a missle. then maybe Someone like jessee can Make a small cast.

spartin%20missles.JPG

Ranger565

Edited by Ranger565

Hey that would be fine if you can Aurora, I found this one immage but if you have a better scan or something to allow me to carve, I would be nice to have

Ranger565

Sorry, Ranger, but the art book does not give any images to the Spartan's missiles. the bw image posted above here is better than what I have.