1/60's are modified Bandai model 1/72's?

gian7675

I had just bought my first 1/60 while transforming it I had a strange feeling that I was

transforming a 1/72 Bandai Variable model Kit from Fighter to Battroid mode.

Just wondering, is it just me or did Yamato use the bandai 1/72 Variable Model kit as a basis for designing their 1/60 line?

The Yamato 1/60 is almost identical to that of the bandai 1/72 Variable Model Kit wherein you have to remove the legs in order to convert it into Battroid mode and when you look at the legs and Chest plate/arms separately, it's almost a duplicate of the Bandai 1/72 Variable Model Kit.

Yamato modified it so that the 1/60 line didn't have a swapable cone and that it has more articulation.

Comments?

actually, yamato used the IHP (1/100 or 1/72 scale?) model kit as their basis for their 1/60 line

besides, all the old bandai valk kits weren't exactly perfect transformation...even later kits like the VF-19 had to take the legs off for transformation

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!

^You have to take the legs off a 1/60 Yamato too.

exactly my point...the IHP kit has asks for the removale of the legs in order to transform...it's been discussed here on the forums before...if you wanna find out more just go to search

just having the legs removed is considered not perfect.

If you want to see how its more based on its on how it looks overall in fighter or battroid maybe gerwalk (for the heck of it) mode.

bandai version valks always look better in battroid than in fighter and since 1/60 valks look better in fighter mode than in battroid I say its not based on them thou the method is similar.

a 1/48 I say is more based off bandais than a 1/60 even that it has way better tranformation methods.

1/48 yammie is based off of what bandai?

the transforming model kit?

I've made a few of those... and there's not much similarity in the mechanics.. course, any valk design is going to be somewhat similar because the designers are trying to make real a set design and transformation...

the 1/60 wasn't based on any previous toy. The bandai model kits are more similar to the HCM, the HCM in turn was based on the 1/72 imai variable kits before bandai in turn got the molds. I doubt the 1/60 was based on the IHP. IHP was full variable and perfect/canon transformation. 1/60 was trying to be canon but also emphasized aesthetics over transformation. Hence no perfect variability. It was mainly made to match the animation models at all costs, so of course logic says that aesthetics was chosen over anything else. Not to mention perfect variability is very hard to do on a toy that size, henceforth the 1/48 fixes everyting that was missing from the 1/60(detail, perfect variability).

Not to mention the sculpt of the 1/60 does not mimic any hasegawa or resin kit and nowhere near a bandai 1/72 imai mold.

^You have to take the legs off a 1/60 Yamato too.

exactly my point...the IHP kit has asks for the removale of the legs in order to transform...it's been discussed here on the forums before...if you wanna find out more just go to search

Uhhh...I'm trying the search feature but all it keeps truning up is Error. If I just put in 1/60 as Keyword, it turns up tons of searches.

Can you suggest a second keyword to go with the "1/60" keyword?

IHP was full variable and perfect/canon transformation.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/news/news44_ihp1.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/news/news44_ihp2.jpg

Seems the IHP came out after the models section stopped being updated, but the above links show pics of it from a model magazine.

Anyway, "perfect" and "canon" transformation are arguably inconsistent with one another. Canonically, the legs remain in contact with the Valk at all times, but they have two different attachment points, one of which "extends" to transfer the legs to the other attachment point before detaching and retracting.

It's hard to tell but from the pics above it looks like the IHP used a variation on the old-fashioned swingbar.

it's clear in that second picture that ewilen linked to that the IHP has definite and noticable swing bars, plainly evident in fighter mode... not cannon. and other than battroid mode, the thing looks clunky... notice how low the head hangs in gerwalk and fighter mode... the mechanical bits that hang out here and there.

though the 1/60 has it's problems, IMO, it *looks* better than the IHP kit.. and the 1/48 is far superior.

I've made a few of those... and there's not much similarity in the mechanics.. course, any valk design is going to be somewhat similar because the designers are trying to make real a set design and transformation...

I don't think you understood what im trying to say that a 1/48 is more based off a bandai than a 1/60 would be.

a 1/48 is much wider in fighter mode to make battroid look little better than the narrow chested 1/60.

Also I said just on looks in batt mode with much better transformation method.

I built few of the kits too like proly most of the people here.

I don't think you understood what im trying to say that a 1/48 is more based off a bandai than a 1/60 would be.

a 1/48 is much wider in fighter mode to make battroid look little better than the narrow chested 1/60.

Also I said just on looks in batt mode with much better transformation method.

I built few of the kits too like proly most of the people here.

ah, my mistake.. are you talking about the aesthetics and proportions of the two?

in that case, yes... I agree with you.

if you want a valk thats "accurate" you kind of have to get something where the legs detach. the model kits are probably the most accurate, but as far as toys go, the 1/60's are the most accurate overall, esecially fighter and battroid modes, the gerwalk is kind of hurting cause of the detachable legs.

the 1/48 is plagued with a giant nose cone and oversized chest plate...good in fighter mode, awesome in gerwalk, and decent in battroid.