Best Quality DVDs

AlphaHX

on the off chance that anyone is interested, the UK Macross Plus "Ultimate" collection from Manga can normally be got for about £8-9 ($16), plus shipping these days, and has two DVD's with the OVA episodes on, and a third with the movie version.

The picture/transfer on them isn't bad at all, and is the same as used on the R4 Madman disks (Madman actually did the transfer).

Having just looked at it with PowerDVD even on the computer it's not bad.

Unfortunately I can't think of anywhere off hand who does it at that price and ships outside Europe (it's RRP is £20/$33 but it's been available at the lower price almost constantly for the past 18 months).

When I was looking to buy the UK Ultimate edition, I contacted Manga UK by email and inquired if they would do direct international sales. They said they would. But then I found it on eBay for even less. If anyone is looking for it, note that the font on the cover sometimes leads sellers to list it is "Macross Plug" or "Macross Plugg".

Why do we have to settle for a bootleg version of Macross Flashback? It is just a music video anyway isn't it? Therefore there is no need for subs or dubs (none that I've heard of or found anyway) and the original one would be the best wouldn't it?

It would be nice if Flash Back 2012 had subtitles, if not romanization and/or translation for the song lyrics, at least for the few bits of dialog, some of which is (IIRC) new. But you're right that it's not necessary, since there is at least one translation out on the net.

I'm guessing the bootlegs are copies of the R2 DVD, but since I don't know, I suppose it's possible they're based on the laserdisc.

Why do we have to settle for a bootleg version of Macross Flashback? It is just a music video anyway isn't it? Therefore there is no need for subs or dubs (none that I've heard of or found anyway) and the original one would be the best wouldn't it?

the R2 is out-of-print.

Thanks. Didn't know that. But the bootlegs these days when ripped straight from the original is still as good am I right?