Old pics.....

orguss01

Hey guys, i was looking through the MW site, remember that, when i came across this photo ...video case......

I never seen this photo...i looked closer and saw vf-1s gatlin gun in the left hand..

anybody have this...is this a gattling??....a naked g-pod..?

i never seen this case, if any of you guys have a better photo can you please post, just thought it was interesting..

Interesting. Never noticed this. Seems to be a Super Valkyrie variant with antennae on the FAST Packs extended along wiht a gatling gun combination with another weapon (launcher or beam gun?) which looks something like the Stampede Valkyrie's gun(s). Also, that second mounts under the left wing in place of a RMS-1.

As these images show- it clearly has the same style canards on the FAST packs...

The gatling is new, and it lacks the leg boosters.

And yes- it is a naked gatling.... you see similiar in the hobby book and that drawing by the Italiano (I forget is name, but sounds Italian.)

post-2-1092067259_thumb.jpg

Edited by daeudi

Fighter Mode...

Obviously the color has been enhanced- due to the low res of these, I had to do something to enhance visibility.

And yes- it seems mis-drawn if these are the same bird... fighter mode has only ONE booster. BUT!!! if you look closely, it almost looks like the 2 boosters sit touching each other in fighter mode, note the double hump at the front tip of these....

post-2-1092067336_thumb.jpg

Edited by daeudi

And yes- it seems mis-drawn if these are the same bird... fighter mode has only ONE booster. BUT!!! if you look closely, it almost looks like the 2 boosters sit touching each other in fighter mode, note the double hump at the front tip of these....

Actually, due to perspective, the other booster simply seems hidden by the nose of the Valkyrie. Even if the booster was actually missing, if it were drawn, it'd still be mostly or completely obstructed.

-Al

Here are the second.

And I don´t think that the gun in the left hand are a naked gun pod. And notice this, in Fighter that gun are very long, and in battroid are realy small

post-2-1092119980_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hikaru_

Hey Nanashi, isn't the GU-11 gun pod a three barrel 55 millimeter auto cannon?

The gun pod shown here is a four barrel.

There is no apparent ammo drum for the weapon.

However, in the first episode of the TV series the Regult battle pod's main PBC is clearly a four barrel weapon system that rotates when one of the Regults pastes a VF-1 pilot in his cockpit.

Based on this, I will make the assumption that the weapon shown in the pic would most likely be a Regult PBC.

Besides, the Regult's main PBCs (or any of their weapons for that matter) would be extremely plentiful after Space War one. With hundreds to thousands of pods per Zentraedi ship (both those that survived and those that crashed on the planet's surface) the use of these weapons even temporarily by the UN Spacy kinda makes sense.

Just my 2 cents. :D

Actuallyif you look around it seems that pretty much every valk in the image has that secondary gattling gun as main armament (with the exception of the bottom-right one).

If anything it's probably just a different artist's interpretation of the VF-1, like how in the Gundam comics the Zakus have a vulcan cannon armament in the left arm.

Note that the Valk in the picture isn't just any Super VF-1S--it's Skull 1.

It'd be cool if there was a back story to this variant somewhere.

What ever it is it makes SKULL 01 kick even more aszzzzzzzzz>>>>>

Check out the shoulder armour plating aswell........ :o

Edited by orguss01

[soapbox rant mode]

why does there have to be a story behind every picture??? It just looks like good artwork to me. It didn't appear in the show, it hasn't appeared in anything since (like, oh say... the Macross Design Book?)... what happened to saying "oh... that's cool artwork, looks inspired by "....." and then move on. Every time a new photo pops up here, people go running to Nanashi screaming "what is this!? WWWHHHYYYYY haven't we been informed about this before!? We demand you tell us the model number and the exact specifications of that which we see, or else!!"

Just like the "Funny Chineese" or "Deep Diver" stuff... it's just fan-custom work, or early design pictures with ideas that got tossed. Does it really have to be more than that?

[/soapbox rant mode]

disclaimer: This rant isn't aimed at any one particular person... it's happened before and it'll happen again. It's a tiny pet-peeve of mine, and if this offended you, then look the other way because I wasn't talking about you.

Back on topic...

It's some neat artwork... When I look at it, I see hints of the SDP-01 sticking out in the picture... the naked gatling gun and the fins on the FAST packs are similar. We've discussed one of those before though.

Edited by Skull Leader

""what happened to saying "oh... that's cool artwork, looks inspired by "....." and then move on. Every time a new photo pops up here"Just like the "Funny Chineese" or "Deep Diver" stuff...

Thought thats what we were doing...

Not new, but new to me for a minute..wonder why i never saw....??

"It's just fan-custom work, or early design pictures with ideas that got tossed.

Does it really have to be more than that?"

Ah yes eaarly design ideas that got tossed .

Those ae good for study as well..?

Speculation is good mental excercise>>>

Is it??

Edited by orguss01

Actually, due to perspective, the other booster simply seems hidden by the nose of the Valkyrie. Even if the booster was actually missing, if it were drawn, it'd still be mostly or completely obstructed.

-Al

You are absolutely correct- I took a second look, and it appears to just barely be visible above the cockpit and the wing root...

Edited by daeudi

[soapbox rant mode]

Just like the "Funny Chineese" or "Deep Diver" stuff... it's just fan-custom work, or early design pictures with ideas that got tossed. Does it really have to be more than that?

[/soapbox rant mode]

[Rinse Mode]

Actually, as you will note when you peruse the Macross Compendium- all the mecha appearing in the Macross Hobby Book ARE considered canon...

which includes the Deep Diver and Funny Chinese.

Besides, I think for most of us, it isn't about canon, it's about "Hey, check this cool art!!!"

[/Rinse Mode]

Not saying this Topic's art is, but I like to speculate about other stuff...

perhaps it is the same artist as the guy who drew the EntBible cover?

That is peculiar, why is there no ammo for the gatling? if energy, why no powerpack or cords? And I love the shoulder armor....

Thanks for posting a better pic Hikaru!

[soapbox rant mode]

why does there have to be a story behind every picture??? It just looks like good artwork to me. It didn't appear in the show, it hasn't appeared in anything since (like, oh say... the Macross Design Book?)... what happened to saying "oh... that's cool artwork, looks inspired by "....." and then move on. Every time a new photo pops up here, people go running to Nanashi screaming "what is this!? WWWHHHYYYYY haven't we been informed about this before!? We demand you tell us the model number and the exact specifications of that which we see, or else!!"

[/soapbox rant mode]

disclaimer: This rant isn't aimed at any one particular person... it's happened before and it'll happen again. It's a tiny pet-peeve of mine, and if this offended you, then look the other way because I wasn't talking about you.

Back on topic...

It's some neat artwork... When I look at it, I see hints of the SDP-01 sticking out in the picture... the naked gatling gun and the fins on the FAST packs are similar. We've discussed one of those before though.

Didn't we just go through this?

I agree it's silly to try to come up with an explanation for fan customs or prototype sketches (although it doesn't bother me enough to initiate a rant). However, these pictures are artwork from an official promo made well after the original series, and all I said was it would be nice if there was a backstory.

If anything, it would be surprising if there weren't a lot more minor variants and loadouts of Macross-universe mecha that don't make it into the main story, at least if you compare weapons development during 20th-century wars. Most of them are minor because it turns out they weren't very cost effective, or were only used for a limited purpose. Nevertheless, they're interesting to technology freaks. Everyone else can just ignore them.

Edit--ah, missed this:

Okay, I hope you feel better now. :)

Edited by ewilen

[soapbox rant mode]

why does there have to be a story behind every picture??? It just looks like good artwork to me.

[/soapbox rant mode]

Sue folks for actually being curious and being proactive in their Macross interest. :rolleyes:

Ahem. The "Funny Chinese" isn't a fan-custom or a tossed idea. It actually appears in "Love Drifts Away" in the TV series, and is precursor to the Elint in DYRL.

-Al