Insanely Cool Minigun Video

Graham

Those miniguns generally lack the range for really fast moving jets so they are reserved for the slow moving planes like the A-1 and helicopters.

In fact the GAU-2 mounted of the noses of A-37Bs are known to have downed drug smuggling light aircraft in south and central america.

And if you do a search in the aircraft vs you can find a photo of a Phantom with 2 dozen SUU-11s which are basically podded versions of the GAU-2.

with extra cosmetic bits stuck on the outside to make them look different.

In the movie, I think they said they were Chinese made guns with thousand round magazines.....LOL! In reality, the Calico used either a 50rd or 100rd helical drum magazine.

Graham

Thanks for the info. :)

Another B-movie Deep Rising have the somewhat feasible microgun though it is mag feed and recoiled-operated.

Nitpick again I provided the link, Zentrandude just quote me. :p

don't forget my frav line from predator ;)

anyways deep rising that lame movie about that giant octopus?

Almost recoiless? How can something that spits out thousannds of bullets a minute be recoiless? :blink:

A minigun is not actually a recoiless weapon, they do indeed produce recoil. What I meant was that your typical GE Minigun does not produce this horrendous massive "move the helicopter sideways when it fires" recoil. The appreciable recoil from a minigun is a bit more than 100 lbs or so of force. When you fire one "hand held" you cannot shoulder heft it like a normal rifle, it hangs down on a cradle that is suspended by your left hand which cradles it and your right hand which holds the trigger grip. This "apelike" shooting position basically allows the shooter to lean forward and "put their weight" into the firing of the weapon. The problem with this is that aim is out the window.

I went to the Knob Creek Machinegun Shoot in Kentucky a few years back and two guys had their miniguns there. One of them actually fired his hand held like Jesse the Body just to show people that it indeed could be done without a mount. The trick was that he had the feed and ejector pipes on the weapon so it could draw ammo and power and then not spray casings all over the place (usually at a speed that could injure).

So in a sense I sort of "mispoke" when I said a minigun was "recoiless", wrong choice of words. What I meant was that they do not have this massive vehicle moving recoil that people try to credit them with and they are indeed hand shootable, given the issues with power and ammo are taken care of.