Gluing itty-bitty teeny parts.

David Hingtgen

Ok, I'm building what will be my last 1/700 ship (when you think to yourself "these tweezers are way too big" you know it's time to work in a bigger scale) and am encountering problems gluing. Namely, the contact surface is as small, if not smaller, than the applicator tip of my glue. (Standard Testor's black-container model master stuff with the needle applicator).

Normally, for itty-bitty parts I use a shaved-down toothpick to transfer glue from the applicator to the part, but is there a better/easier way? I was wondering about using like a 10/0 or 25/0 brush to apply. Anyone tried that? And does brushing glue work with any thickness glue, or does it need to be stuff like Tenax 7R?

PS--any suggestions on tweezers for affixing small parts? :) (Too many have pointy tips, or tips with no grip at all--I currently use ones from a microscope kit, with rounded tips but ridges inside---they're like very thin needle-nose pliers, and have worked well for most things, even other 1/700 ships--but I'm going to need even smaller ones in a similar style for this, and my Iowa's 20mm gun shields)