Ranka Lee drawing

spanner

You should encourage him. My cousins are all pretty good artists, one in particular. He can do amazing things, while I can barely draw stick figures... The one cousin I spoke of has been doing comic book illustrations for the past few years. Keep him drawing, even if it's just for fun...

I have given him plenty of encouragement but he just shrugs it off. He's drawn some really amazing things in the past so its a little frustrating that he has that attitude about it.. not sure what else I can do in an effort to pushing him along.

Well, I'd say don't push, just encourage. Last thing any one wants is to feel pressured into doing something they enjoy, then it ceases to be fun. I was that way with airsoft for a bit, it got to be a second job, and then it stopped being fun. So let it stay fun. A few words of encouragement go a long way. BTW how old is your son? That kinda makes a difference.

absolutely I won't be pushing him about it.. hopefully he will change his mind about it in a few years or so but im not going to pressure him.

my son will be 14 in about two weeks! growing up so fast its crazy!

Airsoft as a 2nd job sounds interesting!

Yeah, It does, but when your not getting paid for the investment of time, taking it seriously is kinda dumb, it's a hobby.

I remember being 14, God I was dumb. I had skills that were sharp (I could actually draw fairly well) but I didn't maintain them, and so, now I can't draw very well. One thing I have become better at since I was that age, is model building and painting (Specifically wagrames miniatures). Mom encouraged my hobby, dad felt it was odd. Dad still doesn't understand that it's an artistic outlet and not a wast of money. Ah well such is life. That was 14 years ago. all I can say is encourage your son to pursue his interests, especially when they diverge from the ones you share.

if he keeps it up as just a hobby then I think that would be great and he won't lose his ability.. I am the same, I was great at drawing as a kid but the general progression of life and other interests saw it fade away. I can still draw quite well but im just too lazy. I use to build and paint up a lot of models too but now the whole idea kinda scares me and im not sure I could stick with it if I actually start something..

My parents didn't really ever encourage me with any of my childhood hobbies.. for instance I loved Lego but my dad rather disliked it and was more a Mechano person. He tried to push me into it but it just never clicked and only made me dislike it more. But on the other hand my dad being big into motorsports and did his fare share of racing did encourage me into Go kart racing which I loved! It only lasted a few years before it got prohibitively expensive as we got faster and we even won a few races! My mum on the other hand hated the racing and did her best to discourage it. So there was always conflicts of interest in my youth..

So if my son wants to pursue something I will be there to support him, if not then I won't push at all. Its his life and he's the one who needs to be happy with it.

Nice artwork! It's notable how your son also gave the whole portrait an interesting cohesive style through the use of lines on the dress matching the lines of text and the lines of the portrait frame. That is clever presentation.

Nice artwork! It's notable how your son also gave the whole portrait an interesting cohesive style through the use of lines on the dress matching the lines of text and the lines of the portrait frame. That is clever presentation.

to be honest I never even though of that! But now that you mention it, its quite clear to see! I do wonder if that was his actual intention when drawing the picture!?

I hadn't noticed that. very cool.

not being much of an art critic myself, I hadn't noticed it either...