Macross in your country

nexxstrait

I was just curious to see what was the situation of official Macross-related releases outside of Japan.

Here we go!

ITALY

SDF Macross TV series (dubbed, 9 DVD)

Macross DYRL movie (dubbed, VHS)

Macross II OVA (dubbed, 6 VHS)

Macross Plus OVA (dubbed, 4 VHS/DVD Box)

Macross 7 Trash manga (14 volumes)

Macross II manga (published divided into 10 episodes in a magazine)

Haruiko Mikimoto Illustrations book (english/italian edition)

United States of America

Super Dimension Fortress Macross

- Japanese Audio / Subtitled (AnimEigo, 9 DVDs)

- Dual Audio Ver. / Subtitled (ADV Films, 7 DVDs)

- Aborted English Dub (Harmony Gold, VHS)

- Aborted English Sub (Streamline, VHS)

Macross II: Lovers Again

- Dual Audio Ver. / Subtitled (Manga Ent., 1 DVD or VHS)

- Translated Official Manga (Viz Media, 10 issues)

- "Micron Conspiracy" Spinoff (Viz Media, 5 issues)

Macross Plus

- Dual Audio Ver. / Subtitled (Manga Ent., 2 DVD?)

- Japanese Audio / Subtitled (Manga Ent, 1 DVD)

England

Macross: Do You Remember Love? [VHS]

Macross Plus OVA/Film [DVD & VHS]

Pretty sure that's it.

You forgot Macross II, distributed on VHS by Kiseki and split into two episodes per tape (3 volumes), dubbed. Also there was the Macross II graphic novel by Viz, but I'm not sure if that was just an imported edition from the US. I don't think so.

Also, the "Superspace Fortress Macross" Toho-commissioned dub was released in very similar packaging to the Kiseki DYRL release, under the title "Macross: Clash of the Bionoids". This was not the same CotB that the Americans are used to because it did not have any cuts, with all the scenes intact. However, it does not include the ending concert scene, which is included in the subbed DYRL release you mentioned.

Also, the "Superspace Fortress Macross" Toho-commissioned dub was released in very similar packaging to the Kiseki DYRL release, under the title "Macross: Clash of the Bionoids". This was not the same CotB that the Americans are used to because it did not have any cuts, with all the scenes intact. However, it does not include the ending concert scene, which is included in the subbed DYRL release you mentioned.

We had that it the US, too. "Clash of the Bionoids" was the cut version (which I never saw) and "Super Space Fortress Macross" was the uncut version (which I have). I even got the Kiseki sub at a con...it wasn't a copy/bootleg (or if it was, they did a remarkable job with it, given mid-'90s color printing technology) but it was formatted for NTSC rather than PAL. That said, it had the UK film rating on it, so maybe it WAS a bootleg... :unsure:

You forgot Macross II, distributed on VHS by Kiseki and split into two episodes per tape (3 volumes), dubbed. Also there was the Macross II graphic novel by Viz, but I'm not sure if that was just an imported edition from the US. I don't think so.

Yeah i totally forgot about the VHS, my bad. How i could even forget watching it at a friends all those years ago is beyond me.

I never did spot the Graphic Novel though. Maybe it was just a US import.

Edited by shiroth

AUSTRALIA

Clash of the Bionoids VHS

Macross II VHS (Don't know if it made it to DVD)

Macross Plus VHS/DVD

SDF Macross DVD Boxset

I think thats it. And people wonder why I download stuff illegally?

Taksraven

AUSTRALIA

Clash of the Bionoids VHS

Macross II VHS (Don't know if it made it to DVD)

Macross Plus VHS/DVD

SDF Macross DVD Boxset

I think thats it. And people wonder why I download stuff illegally?

Taksraven

I have the Australian DVD boxset. It's very nice. Do you have it? If so, how is the picture quality on the "Bye-bye Mars" episode? On mine the visuals are quite grainy and the colours not as vibrant as most other episodes, and even in the preview for it in the previous episode you can tell that the footage looks much cleaner. I always thought they neglected to restore that one for some reason, or used a different master. That has always bugged me. Actually, I would like to see a comparison with the Animeigo release, seeing as they are supposedly the same thing.

Edited by Renato

I have the Australian DVD boxset. It's very nice. Do you have it? If so, how is the picture quality on the "Bye-bye Mars" episode? On mine the visuals are quite grainy and the colours not as vibrant as most other episodes, and even in the preview for it in the previous episode you can tell that the footage looks much cleaner. I always thought they neglected to restore that one for some reason, or used a different master. That has always bugged me. Actually, I would like to see a comparison with the Animeigo release, seeing as they are supposedly the same thing.

Were the Australian DVDs released in PAL? If so a mistake in resizing and converting the image to PAL could certainly account for the grain and duller colors.

Anyways I did take a moment to get some random sceenshots I took from my Animeigo DVD:

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/5892/vlcsnap2010102819h19m57.png

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/668/vlcsnap2010102819h26m31.png

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2093/vlcsnap2010102819h37m45.png

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2017/vlcsnap2010102819h38m04.png

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8956/vlcsnap2010102819h38m44.png

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2815/vlcsnap2010102819h38m55.png

I think Clash of the Bionoids excluded the word "Macross" from its title altogether. When I rented it many years ago as a teenager, I remember being confused by the title because nothing about it stood out. Only the box art tipped me off that it would be Macross-related. I also was under the impression that it was a cut of the full movie, so I incorrectly assumed DYRL sucked...

I also thought Macross II was first released in the US by the now-defunct US Renditions, split into 3 VHS volumes. When Manga Entertainment took over, it was packaged as one VHS movie.

Both of the above English dubs are terrible, BTW.

Edited by Jeff J

Sweden

Macross DYRL (Wendros, VHS, DVD, dubbed)

Released as "Macross: Långfilmen om Robotech och Transformers" (which means "The Movie about Robotech and Transformers" <_< ). Oddly enough it’s uncensored and it lack the extended ending. Oh, and it’s the most horrible Swedish dub I’ve ever heard - one guy does half of the voices!

Edited by Lorindor

I think there was also the Macross II RPG by Palladium (5 books, if I remember correctly)

Yes, you do remember correctly... I didn't think we were counting ancillary stuff like that though. I'm not going to comment on them at length, because the ensuing rant will be worthy of a small novel, but I will say that in terms of their content it would be a stretch to call any of the five volumes an actual Macross II release.

I think Clash of the Bionoids excluded the word "Macross" from its title altogether. When I rented it many years ago as a teenager, I remember being confused by the title because nothing about it stood out. Only the box art tipped me off that it would be Macross-related. I also was under the impression that it was a cut of the full movie, so I incorrectly assumed DYRL sucked...

I also thought Macross II was first released in the US by the now-defunct US Renditions, split into 3 VHS volumes. When Manga Entertainment took over, it was packaged as one VHS movie.

Both of the above English dubs are terrible, BTW.

You are right in terms of the situation in the US, but we were talking about the UK. Totally different releases.

Freiflug88: Thanks for the pics. I will compare them with my DVDs.

Gubaba: Yeah, I had both Kiseki's DYRL releases, the "Spacefortress/Clash" dub and the DYRL sub, and while the dub was awful and extremely dark, the sub was at times nonsensical. "My engine blocks are angry at me"? Argh. Those were the days.

K

You are right in terms of the situation in the US, but we were talking about the UK. Totally different releases.

Yeah, I just realized you were talking UK, but the US Renditions info should be added to the thread.

I also should point out that the Clash of the Bionoids VHS barely had any credits. Maybe they figured since it was 30 minutes shorter they figured they didn't need to acknowledge the staff... :(

FRANCE

SDF Macross (DVD boxset; subbed)

DYRL (VHS only, as Super Space Fotress Macross; dubbed; out of print)

Macross II (VHS & DVD; subbed, dubbed; out of print)

Macross Plus (VHS & DVD; subbed, dubbed; out of print)

Macross 7: Trash (out of print)

They're the only ones I can remember of...

Edited by Gui

FRANCE

SDF Macross (DVD boxset; subbed)

DYRL (VHS only, as Super Space Fotress Macross; dubbed; out of print)

Macross II (VHS & DVD; subbed, dubbed; out of print)

Macross Plus (VHS & DVD; subbed, dubbed; out of print)

Macross 7: Trash (out of print)

They're the only ones I can remember of...

and: DYRL (theatrical release, subbed, as part of "cycle Cinemanga" festival)

Macross II "the movie" (DVD)

Macross 7 Trash (2 versions)

a special "Macross Plus the movie" broadcasted in TV (in fact the 4 OAV with new dub, not the real movie).

Edited by gamlin