Armored Trooper VOTOMS Gen-ei Hen

Temucano

Nice to see a comeback of Votoms, especially when the old characters like Vanilla, Gotho & Cocona will show up. But not sure if I am all that excited about it anymore, as I felt burnt by the Pailsen Files a bit. It didn't turn out as good as I hoped for, and almost regret spending all the money on the DVD set. Start out great at the beginning, then didn't really build up a lot to the end. Even the action scenes became a bit cliche (even though its intense) when Chirico & co. became pretty much invinsible machines, taking down hundreds of enemies with no sweat while the enemies always misses. Votoms was realistic and never like that in battles before. As much of a PS as Chirico is, he can still be overwhelmed by enemies' firepower when the odds are high (same with Fiana & Ypsilon). So Pailsen Files felt very unrealistic in the battle scenes, while the drama doesn't have much to add to the franchise. The old TV series & OVAs are much better, even though they don't have the flashy 3D animations.

Hope the new series will be better. But I am sure I won't be jumping into the series buying the DVDs like I did. Don't want to be disappointed again.

Even the action scenes became a bit cliche (even though its intense) when Chirico & co. became pretty much invinsible machines, taking down hundreds of enemies with no sweat while the enemies always misses. Votoms was realistic and never like that in battles before. As much of a PS as Chirico is, he can still be overwhelmed by enemies' firepower when the odds are high (same with Fiana & Ypsilon). So Pailsen Files felt very unrealistic in the battle scenes, while the drama doesn't have much to add to the franchise.
I kind of felt the same way. Though CHirico had a whole team of "abnormal survivors" or whatever with him it would of been more in the vein of the original if they at least regularly took damage and or replaced ATs throughout their encounters.

I am hoping Bandai will release more 1/20 Votoms model kit with the new animation coming.
I'd like some more AGs personally but ANY merchandise would be welcome as it's all basically dried up. Given the economy I don't expect much but there surely will be something.

I kind of felt the same way. Though CHirico had a whole team of "abnormal survivors" or whatever with him it would of been more in the vein of the original if they at least regularly took damage and or replaced ATs throughout their encounters.

More like Chirico had a team of 'lucky' guys that are pretty formidable in battles, as they aren't the real deal of 'abnormal survivors' like Chirico is, even though they started thinking they were. And I agree, to make the point of the story, they can survive as much as they should, but at least take some good damage or replacing beat up ATs every now and then. They got some seriously retarded pilots in all those Fatties and Chubbies to have wasted so much ammo without landing a single hit. :D

The first chapter with the big river battle was cool, as you see a more realistic side of an epic battle. Dudes get killed left & right, even sometimes by mistakes or by friendly fire. Then its kind of cool to start seeing more action from the main team. But after a while, something is not right. When they get hit (if ever), its always a scratch. But when the enemies get hit, they explodes. Its not until the last episode or two, when the supporting cast needs to die off (its about time), THEN all of a sudden they die easy...felt very staged. Just not the same realistic Votoms I was familiar with from the earlier TV & OVA series.

Hope the production team of the new series can do a better job at this and show us some very cool, but more believable battles and drama.

Edited by mpchi