Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

13 Good

About Aztek

  • Rank
    Sharon Apple Concert Attendee
  • Birthday 05/24/1976

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  • ICQ

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Misawa, Japan
  • Interests

Previous Fields

  • Old MW Name

Recent Profile Visitors

2,310 profile views
  1. I did a quick adjustment with the mesh. Will also post a render tomorrow. One question, in the cutaway schematic, left arm, the backhand faces outward, which way is the thumb? Up or down?
  2. Thanks for all the references and input. Need to go back and look at the joints and see if its possible. The thumb and pinky will be the challenge.
  3. @nightmareB4macross do you have a link to the poster you are talking about?
  4. Man I’m trying really hard to see how that would work? I think I have an idea but think the washer contact area is too small for let’s say an elbow joint. It might need to be a rubber spacer 1cm wide or so.
  5. @Sanity is Optional I’m not quite understanding that? Do you have a diagram or break down of one installed? I’ve taken apart a bunch of toys over the last several months and I’m not sure I’ve seen that yet.
  6. Thanks all! The pins in the fingers are 1.6 mm and interference fit. Might not be able to get a nut/bolt in there. I'm thinking of draft printing the nose section next. So may be a short while before I get an update as there are multiple tweaks to the mesh I need to do for the pivoting radome, leg connections, canopy, etc.
  7. @MechTechnice! I'll post some prototyping below off I did off your original photos. I took a stab and instead of doing the flange pressing against the center housing I double flanged it. Printed in PETG, cycled a few hundred times bu hand. Great tension and no sign of serious wear! This joint will be perfect for the knee and may try to adapt for the shoulder joint. Your work is amazing. How strong is the styrene? The smoothness looks great in the photos. With FDM I'll spend a fair amount of time post processing. The SLA is awesome but not structurally consistent enough nor strong enough for the main structure. Today is a small but proud update. I got my SLA printer back up and wanted to do a detail test. I wasn't sure where to start. Since the hands are one of the more daunting things to get right (for me) I said screw it and jumped in to these over the 4-day weekend. The proud part is I used the attached line art to draw the original mesh back in '03 while deployed. The hands have hardly changed over the years and are one of my favorite creations. On the 1/20 scale I'm trying to get as close to DYRL canon as possible. Some things like the visible ball joints are required for function but the details like on the palm and back hand are critical. The mock up below has the 1/72 and 1/48 for comparison. The gray PLA arm assembly was the draft I first did so there are gaps and loose joints. The mesh is fixed but I don't want to print it again until I start panel lining, More photos following this post since I'm having a hard time not getting errors when uploading on my PC.
  8. @MechTech would you mind taking a couple more pictures of that from an angle that can show me the way it’s built? I can almost make it out but would want to see the male and female pieces better.
  9. @MechTech that joint looks awesome! I planned on nylon washers and metric screws with nylock nuts. How does it work for you? Strong enough? Does it break/chip? Is that SLA printed or FDM? I’ll look to reverse engineer. ☺️ I got my SLA back yesterday and have resin on its way. @Chronocidal I have an stl for a sliding/friction hinge and since the leg is so big I may go back and look at that as an option. Right now the model is easily over 500 objects. I’d like to optimize much lower and that just might help. Also I have the ratchet/nub inside the upper thigh portion to ‘notch” in the upper accordion grooves. Thanks!
  10. XD after all the printing and finishing I'll have to freshen up on WM Chen's techniques
  11. A quick mock up shows ~28 cm tall in fighter mode with landing gear extended. It is 71 cm from nose tip to feet in fighter.
  12. SSP? Fast packs? Already have the geometry from my base model. Just need to convert to a printable/STL format once I get the final dimensions updated on this project The weight with everything is likely going to be pretty heavy. Snapping in to place may not be enough. I'm working on slide locks to secure the model in fighter mode. I hope in battroid the friction joints will be stable enough!
  13. Here are some screen grabs. I'm not really sure if it captures the geometry that shows the "strength" of the joints. There are limit stops on the intake and upper thigh pieces that stop the quarter/half of the accordion looking piece. Like most toys it stays rigid/welded to the intake and the upper thigh rotates down along it. The Soss joint fits inside the accordion geometry and I'm working to strengthen/thicken it where able without jeopardizing the pivot points. To show how much other designing/engineering has been going along I attached a teaser of the swing bar for the legs that is stuffed under the chest plate. This is based on the Bandai 1/72 model that came out around 2014. I love the design and the larger scale allows for a better build. No new prints as I'm low on filament and am looking at either the legs or chest/back/wings next and it uses a bunch in the process!
  14. The accordion intake structure is the backup. I’ll try and post a screenshot from the software. The accordion acts like a shroud around the hinge concealing it completely. There are also tabs on the inside of the outer skin that are limit stops so it doesn’t overextend.
  • Create New...