Silent Hill 4: The Room

The US release is supposed to come with a free OST CD. The game will probably be identical, although people who played it were hoping for a "director's cut"-like re-release of SH2 which contained extras. The current game is lacking the traditional joke / UFO ending, which was also missing in the original release of SH2 until a new version was released.

Shees... <_< I never knew that there was a re-release of SH2. So the re-release SH2 also has the UFO ending? Any other difference?

Silent Hill 2 came out on the PS2 first. Later the Xbox version was released, titled "Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams" to differentiate it with the original PS2 release as it contains the UFO ending and the Maria scenario "Born from a Wish", a short side quest where you get to play as Maria before she meets James at the lakefront.

The Xbox exclusive contents later found their way back to the PS2 in the following forms:

US: Silent Hill 2 "Greatest Hits" red label version

EU: Silent Hill 2: Director's Cut

JP: Silent Hill 2 - Saigo no Uta

If you go looking for a used copy of SH2 GH, be careful because many stores are know to "mix and match" the game disc and case. Make sure the game disc has the red "Greatest Hits" label like on top of the game case, otherwise you'd be getting the old version. They might try to tell you both versions are the same, but they wouldn't be there making minimum wage if they really know what they are talking about.

Added:

According to the back of the box, the Greatest Hits version also features improved graphics, although personally I couldn't tell any difference, having played both versions through a few times.

Edited by Jolly Rogers

I think i'm more than halfway through the game. My thoughts so far.

- I liked the idea. Being trapped in your room and living through a never-ending nightmare.

- Ambience was pretty good. The monsters were pretty freaky things too especially the Twins.

- I didn't like it that nothing takes place in Silent Hill itself..well at least nothing yet. There was usual hospital, subway, apartments and prisons, but they weren't in silent hill.

- There wasn't the usual reality shifting thing going on. You usually enter the levels in their hellish forms already.

You'll know if you're halfway through the game when you start revisiting areas you've already gone through. In fact this is one of the major complaints from people who didn't like the game. Re-visiting the same areas makes the 2nd half feel more like a chore.

The game does not take place in Silent Hill itself, although many of the places you visited have been referenced to in earlier SH games (the Hope House orphanage was mentioned in 3, Walter Sullivan was mentioned in SH2, etc.).

This game started development as a non-SH game. Somewhere during development Konami decided to make it a SH game, thus the big differences compared to the first 3 games. Hopefully 5 (already in the works) will go back to the roots the series is known for - fog, flashlight, radio, monsters instead ghosts, and more psychological terror than action fest.

As good as SH is, i think they should develop more on the protagonists fears and uncertainty more in the games. They kinda did it with Heather in SH3. But for the rest...they seem pretty much like "Oh...there's a monster...wow this world has become hellish....guess i'll just get outta here" kinda non-chalantness. SH4, the protagonist again feels like he's just in it for the ride. No fear. No curiosity. No anxiety that he was trapped in his room. Well...just a little (banging on front door).

Don't really feel SH4 was action oriented either. About the same thing. Controls felt clunky at 1st but got used to it over time. Most of the time you just run away from monsters/ghosts since they can't die anyway. Annoying buggers.

Going back to later levels is alright....but I think its more laziness on the designer's part. IE: Too lazy to remodel the whole Silent Hill just for your running-in-fog pleasure. :lol:

PS: Didn't know this didn't originally started out as a SH game. But cool. Despite not having a radio, Henry still hears the static sound when near a monster though.

SPOILER FOR SUBWAY REVISITED

I'm now at the subway....fighting the 1st victim....i can't seem to pin her down with a sword. Any pointers?

Go to Game FAQs for game tips and walkthrus.

Some have mentioned that SH4 is a story done in 3rd person - e.g. the story is about Walter Sullivan, but told through a third protagonist's point of view (Henry), unlike the previous games, which were told in first-person views of the protagonist.

Did that....they say u can pin her down but I can't do it. You can apparently stomp her as well. No avail. Oh well.

Crap...i missed the spade. >_<