First Resin Kit

Culverin

i got my first resin kit today, and as cool as it is, i'm a bit intimidated...

most of my experience comes from assembling bandai gundam kits, so a resin kit is very different... first off it doesn't snap together... :p

i've got plenty of tools at home ranging from x-acto saw, sandpaper (yes wet/dry)... needle files, pin vise

i've pinned small stuff (miniatures) but never at the model kit level

kinda embarrased, but what glue do i use?

i mean, plastic injection kits use plastic cement to "weld" pieces

and super glue doesn't hold well when big right?

do i use epoxy? :huh:

hi resin can seem like a bitch to work with, i to am most used to Gundam models, so moving to resin was a tough change, make sure you wash all the parts before you prime them it is very important, they need to be washed thoughout. as for glueing I mainly used normal SuperGlue and never had any problems. but then again i do not play with the kits I have, they are just on the shelf, but it holds up fine. what type of kit are you putting together? I have mainly done Gsystem Gundam kits, please post some pics if you can.

also forgot to mention, if you pin the pieces well the super glue should hold

There has to be a more exact way to line up the pinholes. Even just a smidgen off could ruin the effect. I wonder if it makes sense to skip the pins, thus sacrificing the strength... but you gain more flush seam lines.

Perhaps this page can be of help. Towards the middle of the page, he offers some tips on how to line up pins properly:

http://s89202096.onlinehome.us/resintut/assembly.htm

As I am still pretty new to resin-modelling myself (I've only completed one and I've been working on another for about 2 years now), and the only advice I feel qualified to add at this point is to make sure to test fit each part with the others. This is where the most sanding will probably come into play.

I'm doing the large 1/4000 scale Yellow Submarine SDF-01 Stormattacker and I'm not "pinning" any of the pieces together. I just use superglue at multiple anchor points on each piece... that way if the bond, for some strange reason should break in one place, it's still secure in a number of other spots

Enjoy the new world of resin modelling! just remember to take your time and properly prepare each piece. As always, if you have a problem with something, feel free to contact any of the modellers here for assistance, we're always glad to help out!

I'm doing the large 1/4000 scale Yellow Submarine SDF-01 Stormattacker and I'm not "pinning" any of the pieces together. I just use superglue at multiple anchor points on each piece.

I have the G-System resin kit of the SDF-1 in Cruiser Mode and it is a great quality kit. You can get away without pinning that because many of the large anchor points have interlocking pieces like this:

___.... _________

.....|_ ..|_

........|... |

......_|. _|

___|...|_________

If these interlocking pieces were not there... then I think you'd have to pin the pieces. And especially for important pieces to get flush (like fuselage halves), I think it is really tough to line them up perfectly. I don't want to lose panel lines by just sanding the hell out of them to make them flush.

By the way, Stamen, GREAT ARTICLE!

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

one thing that i have been told is to drill all the way through the piece (at a flat section) and have the pieces glued together already...

just fill in the hole from the outside with a bit of green stuff and voila, perfect pin