Chojuushin Gravion

areaseven

gravion.jpgadv15.jpg

Choujuushin Gravion ( 超重神グラヴィオン )

GONZO Digimation/Fuji TV/Media Factory, 2002-2003

ADV Films, 2003

Directed by Masami Obari (Fatal Fury, Virus).

Rated 15+ for violence, slight nudity and mature situations.

In the year 2041, mankind has colonized the other planets of the Solar System. But an alien race appears out of nowhere with the intention of wiping out the human race. Only a group of pilots stand in their way as they combine their vehicles to form the mighty robot Gravion.

Story: C

If you've seen one giant robot anime, you've probably seen them all. Gravion is more formulaic than other recent robot anime like Mazinkaiser, GaoGaiGar, Great Dangaioh and Dai-Guard, only with a lot of T&A - which is probably why I'll still watch this series.

Animation: B-

It looks better than some anime on TV, but by GONZO (Vandread, Yukikaze) standards, the artwork and animation are a disappointment. Character designs by Obari and Makoto Uno (Love Hina, Stellvia) look decent, but remind me too much of Mobile Suit Gundam SEED's artwork. Kunio Okawara's (Mobile Suit Gundam, Betterman) design for Gravion is too derivative of his GaoGaiGar design.

Soundtrack: B-

Hikaru Nanase's (Galaxy Angel, ZOE: Idolo) musical score sounds a bit generic, as is the opening theme "Nageki no Rosario" by JAM Project (Mazinkaiser, Scrapped Princess).

Sub vs. Dub

Gravion features Kenichi Suzumura (Shin in Macross Zero, Kamui in X) as Eiji, Jun Fukuyama (Haruto in Witch Hunter Robin, Keith in Turn-A Gundam) as Toga, Mai Nakahara (Rena in .hack//DUSK) as Eina, Yuu Asakawa (Motoko in Love Hina, Sakaki in Azumanga Daioh) as Miki, Haruna Ikezawa (Miyu in Super GALS, Nana in Melty Lancer) as Runa, Michiko Takahashi (Mahiro in Samurai Deeper Kyo) as Chuiru, Motoko Kumai (Sumomo in Chobits, Shaolan Li in Card Captor Sakura) as Kukki, Nana Mizuki (Tamao in Shaman King, Mika in Samurai Deeper Kyo) as Marinia, Masumi Asano (Saga in A Little Snow Fairy Sugar, Sonsaku in Ikki Tousen) as Stephanie, Hikaru Midorikawa (Heero in Gundam Wing, Ryuhou in s-CRY-ed) as Raven, and Sho Hayami (Max in Macross/Macross 7, Wolfwood in Trigun) as Sandman.

Don't know whether or not ADV will do a good job dubbing this title.

DVD Extras

Not until ADV's version comes out, which reportedly has revised animation. Hopefully, that includes cleaning up all the broken Engrish seen on the original broadcast.

The Bottom Line

Gravion is definitely not GONZO's best work. Strictly for Obari fans only, as those into Super Robots will hate it.

Links

Choujuushin Gravion Official Homepage (Japanese)

Fuji TV's Official Choujuushin Gravion Homepage (Japanese)

ADV Films' Official Gravion Homepage

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

Masami Obari is aweful.

Megazone 23 Part 3...

Platnimhugen Ordian...

Gravion...

They all have so many similarities - and thats NOT a good thing. I dont think I'll give Gravion a single chance. It doesnt look good, and Obari is aweful. But thats just me. Any of you who dont mind any of Obaris work should definitely check this out, as far as robot anime goes I guess its ok if you dont mind Obaris style of work.

-BEN-MAN-

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oobari isn't -awful-, he just has a weird, fairly unique style. The issue is you have to team him with a writer who isn't shite. When he has a shite writer you get Voltage Fighter Gowkaiser. When he has a good writer you get Fatal Fury The Motion Picture. I'm still confused that a fighting game anime is actually -good-, but it is. Of course, all the other Fatal Fury animes are not so good... Detonator Orgun is cool (Hideki Kakinuma of Mospeada, Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force, et cetera fame wrote it), Tekkaman Blade is cool, I even like Machine Robo Revenge of Cronos, the cheesy martial arts anime.

Edited by Ginrai