painting with a brush

cube

I'm working on a little custom project, and am going to paint the model/toy with automotive touch-up paint using a brush. I was just wondering what the best way to do this is.

I'm guessing:

-sand everything so the paint sticks.

-paint everything

-sand the paint again to smooth it out

-nother coat o paint

-sand again

-sand with a very fine grit paper

-clearcoat

If I'm on the right track with the process, grit numbers for the different sandings would definitely help!

Thanks!!!

Right. To brush paint, the first step is to first make sure all your seams are filled. There are a few ways of finding out if your seams are filled.

1) Run a fingernail perpendicular to the seam, and if your fingernail catches, the seam is still visible.

2) Spray a primer coat on the model, and then inspect very carefully to see if seams show up.

Once that's done, clean off the model of any dust fingerprints etc. Most like to wash their kits before painting.

Now when it comes to painting, get good brushes. Not the cheap ones that come with Testors paint kits, but good brushes. And since you'll be doing large areas, use a large brush for large areas. For smaller bits, go with a small brush. Oh and be prepared for brush strokes. Some paints hide them very well (and there are others that can help you with that), but some don't. To minimize your brush strokes, paint in one direction, let dry, and then paint perpendicular to that direction.

When done painting, clean off your brushes with the proper cleaners (ie rubbing alcohol for Tamiya paints), rinse the brushes in running water, and reform the point WITH YOUR FINGERS, NOT YOUR MOUTH. Stand the brushes on their ends to let them dry.

As for sanding in between coats, I don't, but you may wish to experiment with that.