Japanese Font Help

I've stated previously that I am in the process of updating my site, The Gunbuster Index. I am looking for fonts which I can use to make the Japanese characters you see on Japanese pages. Can anyone out there help me with this? I've tried using SimSun and SimHei, but those are Chinese fonts, right? I'm looking for an actual Japanese font. And why is it that these characters do not show up on older operating systems, like Windows 98?

I'm not exactly a wiz at creating webpages, and am currently learning as I go, so please excuse my stupidity at times. I just want to get my site to look decent. And in case you wondering why I want to know this, I want to include the Japanese printing of the name alongside the English one. Kind of like in the image below, which is a screenshot of one of my pages.

post-26-1062528252_thumb.gif

I've stated previously that I am in the process of updating my site, The Gunbuster Index. I am looking for fonts which I can use to make the Japanese characters you see on Japanese pages. Can anyone out there help me with this? I've tried using SimSun and SimHei, but those are Chinese fonts, right? I'm looking for an actual Japanese font. And why is it that these characters do not show up on older operating systems, like Windows 98?

I'm not exactly a wiz at creating webpages, and am currently learning as I go, so please excuse my stupidity at times. I just want to get my site to look decent. And in case you wondering why I want to know this, I want to include the Japanese printing of the name alongside the English one. Kind of like in the image below, which is a screenshot of one of my pages.

what os are you running?

ƒKƒ“ƒoƒXƒeƒ‹@‚¾‚¢‚·‚«I

ƒVƒˆƒcƒNI@Ž„@‚Æ@‚¨Žo—l@‚ª@ƒsƒCƒƒcƒgIH

Edited by Ali Sama

Japanese (especially Kanji) draw heavily from Chinese anyway, so it's not wrong to use those fonts either. You can try using MS Mincho, but ideally for websites you might want to go with Unicode -- its a more potable method.

Older OS like Win98 may need an optional download in order to read Japanese text on the web browser. W2K and XP comes with the necessary software to do so out-of-box, so they don't need to download.

Also, MS provides the Input Method Editor (IME) for people to write Japanese text, which is normally what I used to write. As long as I stick with MS products, I'm fairly sure that the majority of the people out there can read what I write.

However, the best way to do it might be as you have -- write them as an image file and link to them as pics. That way, regardless of whether they are using W98 or W2K they would be able to read your text.

Japanese (especially Kanji) draw heavily from Chinese anyway, so it's not wrong to use those fonts either. You can try using MS Mincho, but ideally for websites you might want to go with Unicode -- its a more potable method.

Older OS like Win98 may need an optional download in order to read Japanese text on the web browser. W2K and XP comes with the necessary software to do so out-of-box, so they don't need to download.

Also, MS provides the Input Method Editor (IME) for people to write Japanese text, which is normally what I used to write. As long as I stick with MS products, I'm fairly sure that the majority of the people out there can read what I write.

However, the best way to do it might be as you have -- write them as an image file and link to them as pics. That way, regardless of whether they are using W98 or W2K they would be able to read your text.

if he goes with shiftjis or unicode anyoen with a internet explorere or netscape cna easily read it. tha tis why i asked him what os he has. if it is cxp it;s very easy to do as Id id in the smaple above. takes secodns and yone can read it.

ƒKƒ“ƒoƒXƒeƒ‹@‚¾‚¢‚·‚«I

ƒVƒˆƒcƒNI@Ž„@‚Æ@”öª—l@‚ª@ƒsƒCƒƒcƒgIH

BTW, it's onee (‚¨‚Ë‚¦), not one (‚¨‚Ë).

u‚¨Žov doesn't come on its own -- you need to type u‚¨Žo‚³‚ñv or u‚¨Žo‚³‚Üv in order to get the kanji. Otherwise you will end up with u”öªv, as you did.

Actually, FYI, I couldn't easily read what you wrote -- had to force the browser to use a certain encoding. This is true if the browser is set to autoselect. ‚’J@‹IŽq (Noriko-Takaya) probably need to use HTML tags to indicate the language/ fonts used in order to be user friendly..

ƒKƒ“ƒoƒXƒeƒ‹@‚¾‚¢‚·‚«I

ƒVƒˆƒcƒNI@Ž„@‚Æ@”öª—l@‚ª@ƒsƒCƒƒcƒgIH

BTW, it's onee (‚¨‚Ë‚¦), not one (‚¨‚Ë).

u‚¨Žov doesn't come on its own -- you need to type u‚¨Žo‚³‚ñv or u‚¨Žo‚³‚Üv in order to get the kanji. Otherwise you will end up with u”öªv, as you did.

Actually, FYI, I couldn't easily read what you wrote -- had to force the browser to use a certain encoding. This is true if the browser is set to autoselect. ‚’J@‹IŽq (Noriko-Takaya) probably need to use HTML tags to indicate the language/ fonts used in order to be user friendly..

“x‚à

it messed up becuae i placed that space at the end. and I did not notice it sicne I wanted to sperate the words for him/her.

ali

Edited by Ali Sama

I'm running the good old memory hog, Windows XP. I've tried MS Mincho, and it looks okay. I'll try the others.

As for the way the characters are printed out, I got those off of Gainax's website and copied them as they were. If I was wrong...oops.

As for the name Takaya Noriko, I've always seen it printed as such: ƒ^ƒJƒ„ ƒmƒŠƒR

Edited by Noriko Takaya

As for the name Takaya Noriko, I've always seen it printed as such: ƒ^ƒJƒ„ ƒmƒŠƒR

That's the katakana spelling of her name; nothing wrong in that and may be intentional to show the international aspect of the anime, as katakana is traditionally used to "import" foreign words into the language.

The traditional kanji rendering of her name would be: ‚’J@‹IŽq, although the "Noriko" part can have multiple kanji rendering -- I just used the first to appear. The "Takaya" surname can also have multiple rendering too, but it's really a choice between u‚’Jv or u‚‰®v; I chose the former simply because it looks nicer. :D