cutting model plastic?

cube

Hiya,

I've got a model that I want to customize into a toy...to do this, I need to cleanly cut the model into parts. Just wondering what the best way to do this is without melting or cracking the plastic? I figured a dremel would get most of it, but probably melt the plastic, and a sharp knife for the rest...wanted to check with the experts first though.

Thanks!

Do it very, very carefully! ;) Actually, you want to go to your local hobby store, and buy what's called a razor saw. It's about 5" long, and anywhere from 1/2" to over 1" tall, and maybe as thick as an exacto knife blade. You can get them with fine teeth or coarse teeth - fine cuts really nicely, leaves a smooth edge, but can take a while, coarse is rougher, but cuts through whatever like butter.

Or, if you have some time to spare before starting, check these out.

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?HSGTL3

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?HSGTP-3

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?HSGTP-4

They are saws that are photoetched from a sheet of metal, so they are REALLY thin. I've been using them for a couple of years now, and they are some of the best razor saws I have ever used. Hope this helps!

if you deside to do it with an Xacto... first use a straight edge. go to an office supply store like Staples or Office Depot, for about $4 you can get a 12" Stainless steel ruler. When you cut, don't try and do it all in one pass, take several shallow cuts to cut through the piece.

if you need to cut curves, your going to have to do it "free hand" and good luck at that ;)

I personally would not use a Dremel.. too easy to make irreversable mistakes.

bah wih nail clippers. if your jsut removing it form the palstic sprue tree then you need what is called a "sprue tree cutter" it looks like nail clippers (scissor/plier type) very clean. but of course it is not perfect so light sanding may be needed. im lazy and too cheap to buy sand paper so i use modeling files or jsut shave off the sprue flash (little bit of plastic left from improper sprue trimming) with an x-acto knife.

For something that size, I'd recommend a jeweler's saw.... essentially, they're a bit like a coping saw, but the saw blade is very thin.... I use these when doing figure conversions for Warhammer....

Razor saws are very nice for shallow cuts, but if you have to cut something of any depth, or that requires any coping, I'd recommend a jeweler's saw.