Soldner: Secret Wars

I spent some time with the Joint Ops demo last night, so here's my initial impressions. Keep in mind that this demo is actually the early Beta that they have been testing for some months now. I'm assuming that the final game will have improvements.

Pros:

Huge levels, with nice looking foliage (for this game type, anyway)

Weight-based inventory. Weigh yourself down with lots of ammo, or just carry a couple of magazines.

Ammo dumps and weapon stockpiles at key locations.

Allows you to change out weapons in-game, rather than waiting for a respawn.

Good selection of voice commands. (I liked how it had a function that would "ask" for passengers in vehicles)

Fairly lethal damage for firearms

Good hit-detection

Cons:

A little on the "arcadey" side

Weapon selection is small, especially compared to Soldner

No voice-comm support

Somewhat laggy (although my friends PC was running like C-R-A-P last night, so that may have affected it)

Players seemed to retain their previous uniforms when they switched sides (ie, a "rebel" had a "joint ops" uniform)

Teamwork can be hard to come by (a fault of online gaming in general, no the game itself)

Small arms sound FX were pretty weak. Easily fixed, but I'd prefer it to sound good out-of-the-box

All in all, I think it has potential. But I'm still going to wait and try Soldner before I plunk down my $60 CDN on one of these games.

Edited by bsu legato

Hey bsu legato, is it true that game can host over 100 players at a time in one map?

Yep. We were only playing on a server with about 60 players last night, but we did see some 100-player ones. I definietly have to give Novalogic a thumbs ups on in that regard. The netcode seemed to handle all those players pretty well, too. There were a couple of instances of a chopper appearing to "jump" from spot to spot in the sky, but that could just be a demo issue. And apparently there will be an update for the demo.

BTW, there's a new & improved trailer HERE that gives you a good idea how getting into the vehicles works. No game I've played before this has allowed me to actually run around inside a transport helicopter while it's in flight. And riding in a Little Bird is just sooooooooo cool. :D