Having trouble spray painting a 1/60.

DARTHTODD

I'm building a custom 1/60 valk, the dark blue version that is briefly seen. Took it apart and started painting it.....paint is not sticking/staying. It's beading up like there's some kind of residue on the toy (but I actually don't think it's from a residue). Question: will a coat of primer deal with this and stick or will it also bead up. I was under the impression that primer will stick much better than paint. I'd appreciatte some help, thanks!

Usually on toys, the plastic that is used is polished, meaning that is has been smoothed and buffed out to give it a "shine". As to wether they use chemicals or not, I'm not sure. Your best bet is to use a very light sandpaper and roughen all the plastic that will be painted. As a general rule, all parts that will take on paint should be washed in soap and water. If you're using an enamel paint, I don't think you'll need a primer, but it always helps your top coats stick better. I too, have dealt with the same problem on the Bandais, and sanding any trouble areas usually resolves this issue.