Forge World Resin

VF-17

I'm looking at buying a Forge World Warhound Titan kit, and my question is does anyone have experience with their kits? How good is the castings? I have a small Warhound Titan kit, and I have to say, I am not impressed with some of the casting work. There's some air bubbles, and that's to be somewhat expected, but the pour stub broake off and took a big chunk out of the kit! <_< I got it this way, and I am not sure if this person recasted it, or if it's the real deal.

post-26-1077592611_thumb.jpg

I've bought a few of their Imperial Armour conversion kits.

Quality was so-so. Plenty of detail but some minor bubbles/warping.

I hear that their more recent releases are of higher quality than the earlier ones.

Of course, I am mostly a platic model builder, so maybe my "complaints" concerning ForgeWorld were based on unrealistic expectations.

If I had the cash I would love to get some of their big stuff, like that Titan or the Superheavy tanks.

Picked up a few of the various doors for Rhinos and Land Raiders... quality is pretty high, generally pretty easily fixed. I've only mostly bought recent releases, though...

I'd love to pick up some of the Titans, but.... too damn expensive for the usage. And also, I like the Armorcast titans better, frankly. I would like to get a Stormblade tank, though...

I do have a friend who picked up an Imperial Guard Valkyrie, and the damn thing was a mess. He had a heck of a time getting it replaced, too...

Edited by gnollman

Thanks for the comments all! I think I just may have to spend the cash for one. It IS a hell of an expensive kit, but I wouldn't use it on a table. Just a diplay peice on a big diarama. I've had too many experiences with "Cool! Does it move?" *snap* :angry:

I do have a friend who picked up an Imperial Guard Valkyrie, and the damn thing was a mess. He had a heck of a time getting it replaced, too...

What do you mean it was a mess? Please elaborate, cause that was another I was thinking of picking up.

Edited by VF-17

I have purchased a couple of the Eldar kits from forge world along with some accessory kits for vehicle modification. My experience has been that their smaller kits and parts look great, and have really good detail. The two large vehicles I bought both had some air bubbling on the underside that has taken a ton of work to clean up (But I am a bit of a perfectionist and could not stand to just write it off as the part no-one will see.

The detail is great and they are solid as a rock, in most cases you aren't going to have trouble, but you can get unlucky and end up with the "Friday night special", you know, the last one off the assembly line on friday night that got rushed so everyone could go home. Just give the parts a thourough inspection when you get the kit and don't be afraid to request replacements if you get something you aren't happy with quality wise.

Picked up a few of the various doors for Rhinos and Land Raiders... quality is pretty high, generally pretty easily fixed. I've only mostly bought recent releases, though...

You lucky guy.

I got myself a pair of Rhino doors, should be roughly a year apart in terms of casting time. The earlier set had no problem and is quite good. The later set, however, had holes in the doors (!) (of course I meant holes that were not supposed to be there!).

I think the molds for this particular set of doors may be getting worn out.. so it may not be a good idea to purchase kits which had been available for a long time.

What do you mean it was a mess? Please elaborate, cause that was another I was thinking of picking up.

Heavy warpage. So much so that it was unfixable. Not just slight bending, but twisting and misshapen bits.

It was virtually a lump of waste resin....

Here's the link

FW Titans

:blink: EGADS! you need to take out a small loan to get one

275.00 EUR (Euro) = 343.776 USD (United States Dollars)

1 EUR = 1.25009 USD   1 USD = 0.799940 EUR 

WTF they list the US price as $465.00?? plus shipping.... does it come with someone to assemble and paint the damn thing for me?

:shake head: why is GB so special that they can't use the Euro?

Edited by Southcross

WTF they list the US price as $465.00?? plus shipping.... does it come with someone to assemble and paint the damn thing for me?

Which is why I don't buy big things from them..... why I'll never buy that Stormblade, for instance... unless I win the lottery, that is....

Here's the link

FW Titans

:blink: EGADS! you need to take out a small loan to get one

You knew only now? FW stuff are high quality, but as with most GW products, excessively expensive.

GW mass-production miniatures are still okay as their quality control is quite good, but small scale production items like FW makes it impossibly expensive.

And if my guess is right (that some of their molds are deteroriating) it may not be justifiable to pay that much.

Frankly speaking, for that cost, I rather scratch build the Titan. I can't sculpt the crew, but the basic mechanical model I can do fairly cheaply.

A scratch build, though time consuming, would look infintiely better. for functionality, my friend built a titan out of FOAM. yes, FOAM. and for those of you who build the bigger kits and want to work faster, get goggles, a respirator, and a dremel. only way to finish building it in a day. and you are right, they are wearing out those molds, they think ithey are too expensive to replace.