Macross and battletech

Prons

I didn't like them. IMO, the whole charm of Battletech was the big ugly "Walking Tank" syndrome.

The Japanese versions of the Battlemechs I found way overdone for my taste. However, you can still do "Walking Tank" without being too clunky or anime-frilly:

prominence.jpg

Lifted from http://tekki.jp

interesting, that steel battalion mech looks an aweful lot like the Gundam: For the Barrel designs.

They were done by the same mecha designer, that's why.

There's a website out there but I don't remember the address.

Silly Battletech. :p I havent played in a while, and even then I tried stuffing anime machines into it :D

By the way, Fasa Died if anyone didn't notice.

I didn't like them. IMO, the whole charm of Battletech was the big ugly "Walking Tank" syndrome.

The Japanese versions of the Battlemechs I found way overdone for my taste. However, you can still do "Walking Tank" without being too clunky or anime-frilly:

prominence.jpg

interesting, that steel battalion mech looks an aweful lot like the Gundam: For the Barrel designs.

Silly Battletech. :p I havent played in a while, and even then I tried stuffing anime machines into it :D

Yeah, battletech now belongs to Microsoft methinks.

prominence.jpg

Yeah, battletech now belongs to Microsoft methinks.

Speak not theis Heresy!

THE NAME IS FANPRO! FANPRO!

Classic Battletech

You can find a lot of info on this by searching Google and Google groups. The lawsuits date from around 1994/5 and actually began with a suit by FASA against Playmates. IIRC FASA had wanted to make some toys based on Battletech and showed the idea to Playmates; Playmates didn't bite but later made Exosquad, which FASA considered a ripoff of their idea. The incorporation of Robotech toys into Exosquad only occurred later and seems to have been related to HG/Playmates countersuing FASA. Playmates barely avoided losing the suit brought by FASA; the countersuit resulted in a settlement well before it could be brought to judgment.

Do a Google search for HG vs FASA and you will come up with numerous links where the case is used as precedent. Basically, someone at HG accidentally sent client-protected information (mostly strategy talks with lawyers and Tatsunoko IIRC) to FASA during the exploratory phase of the case. HG filed to have this information suppressed...and rightly so. That information is protected under the Attorney-Client Privelege. The case was settled out of court when it is apparent that HG would have won that case had not a serious goof happened when someone was packing up memos (remember people saying that no one was home at HG to watch their licensing?).

The actual ownerships of the various parts of Battletech is rather confusing. My understanding of the situation is as follows:

One, the original tabletop game is now owned by Wizkids LLC. They produce new material which is published by Fantasy Production (FanPro). Wizkids also produce ClickyTech .

Two, distribution of (at least) Classic BattleTech material is supported by FastForward Games, especially where online ordering, sales and distributions are concerned.

Three, the PC spin-offs under Mechwarrior and Mechcommander are now owned by Microsoft; AFAIK, they can publish new software titiles but probably cannot create new material without Wizkids' consent. I'm not sure about this though.

Thus, GobotFool is not totally wrong with regards to MS owning some part of Battletech.. it's just not totally correct either. And MS have been allowing the material to idle for quite some time.

EDIT: Messed up some stuff.

Edited by Lynx7725

Anyone played Mechassault? I got it and it's... OK I guess.

It goes from being really great (like glowing panels when your 'mech is heated up) to some really stupid stuff... It's like a non-strategy version of Mechcommander where suddenly the Mad Cat has become a 100ton mech. <_<

Vostok 7

'MechAssault II is coming.

*SHUDDER*

And... Calling 'MechAssault a non strategy game of 'MechCommander is giving it way to much credit.

'MechAssault is more of a Robotech Battlecry type game. Mindless, repetitive action game.

I keep wondering why Microsucks keeps having to meddle in the Mechwarrior/Battletech universe.

I swear, MechCommander and MW3 were the last good Battletech/Mechwarrior games. MechCommander II was pretty good I suppose.

Vostok 7

The actual ownerships of the various parts of Battletech is rather confusing. My understanding of the situation is as follows:

One, the original tabletop game is now owned by Wizkids LLC. They produce new material which is published by Fantasy Production (FanPro). Wizkids also produce ClickyTech .

Two, distribution of (at least) Classic BattleTech material is supported by FastForward Games, especially where online ordering, sales and distributions are concerned.

Three, the PC spin-offs under Mechwarrior and Mechcommander are now owned by Microsoft; AFAIK, they can publish new software titiles but probably cannot create new material without Wizkids' consent. I'm not sure about this though.

Thus, GobotFool is not totally wrong with regards to MS owning some part of Battletech.. it's just not totally correct either. And MS have been allowing the material to idle for quite some time.

EDIT: Messed up some stuff.

Spot on! apart form one little thing the staff at fan pro produce the new material then get it approved by wizkids and publish it

Hybridchild

If I remimber right I read some where that said that fasa did not rip those mechs off they actuly asked the permission of the creator of macross to use those mech designes, but then after he sold the rights over to harmony gold they through a big fit about fasa using there designes. and yes this is what realy happend I used to have the link to the website (I will find it and post it, the page is a lot like the patition page for the issue with harmony gold and not letting us have real valks).

Here is that link to the Harmony Gold vsFASA thing.

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/press/press.018.html