Idol Project

areaseven

And now for another episode of...

ipcover.jpg13up.gif

Idol Project ( アイドルプロジェクト )

Studio OX/KSS Films, 1995-1996

AnimeWorks, 2002, 2004

Directed by Yasufumi Nagaoka

Rated 13-Up for some violence and slight T&A and HLA.

Fourteen-year-old Mimu has dreams of becoming a successful idol singer. Her idol, Yuri, appointed six girls known as the Excellent Idols to be her successor following her retirement. This year, Mimu hopes to fulfill her dreams and become the recipient of Yuri's coveted "Golden Microphone." But during her audition, Mimu and the Excellent Idols are abducted by aliens from the "Tropical Dimension" to participate in an intergalactic idol competition.

Story: D-

Hitoshi Doi is one of the most well-known authorities when it comes to information on Japanese animation. Over the past decade, he has recommended a lot of good titles like Hand Maid May, Di Gi Charat and Fancy Lala. It's no surprise that someone would check out Idol Project based on Hitoshi's fan page. Well, I picked up the OAV and after watching it, I'm simply amazed by just how surprisingly, amazingly...

...CRAPPY this title turned out to be! The plot has no sense of direction. Character development does not exist. With all of those factors missing, is fan service the only redeeming point of Idol Project? Not even that is worth watching at all. There are some T&A shots, but even the most perverted ecchi fan will fall asleep watching this OAV. In a nutshell, it makes Chance Pop Session look like Magical Stage Fancy Lala.

Animation: B

The animation is pretty good. The character designs by Noritaka Suzuki (Tenbatsu Angel Rabbie) are okay, but they look like they were recycled from a dozen other titles. On a side note, Idol Project was animated by Studio OX, the company behind another anime stinker titled Wild Cardz.

Soundtrack: C+

This is all about idol singers, but even with a solid voice cast, the music is forgettable.

Sub vs. Dub

Idol Project features Mariko Kouda (Miyuki-chan in Wonderland, Amy in Macross II) as Mimu, Kikuko Inoue (Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess, Mizuho in Please Teacher! and Onegai Twins) as Corvette, Mika Kanai (Tiffa in Turn-A Gundam, Vanilla H in Galaxy Angel) as Extra, Aya Hisakawa (Haruka in RahXephon, Skuld in Ah! My Goddess) as Layla, Hinako Kanamaru as Pal Pu, Rie Iwatsubo (Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety, Honoka in Magical Project S) as Shion, Satomi Koorogi (Maho in Please Teacher!, Pedro in Macross 7: The Galaxy is Calling Me!) as Ruka, and Ai Orikasa (Ryoko in Tenchi Muyo!, Ayame in Sakura Wars) as Yuri. Additional voices by Chinami Nishimura (Kiki in Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Greta in A Little Snow Fairy Sugar), Wataru Takagi (Great Teacher Onizuka, Garrod in After War Gundam X), Hiroaki Hirata (Sha Gojyo in Saiyuki, Jouji in Kaze no Yojimbo), and Kyoko Hikami (Rabi~En~Rose in Di Gi Charat, Dojima in Witch Hunter Robin).

The English dub nearly destroyed my entertainment system.

DVD Extras: F

What extras?

The Bottom Line

I feel sorry that Hitoshi-sensei actually likes this one. Idol Project is so bad, it's like an animated version of Spice World. Don't waste your money on this one.

Reference

Hitoshi Doi's Idol Project Page

Anime News Network