Bandai HG Mission 3 Figures

Graham

The Bandai Macross HG Third Mission PVC Gashapon figures are now available in Hong Kong. I just bought the set of 8 figures from the Animate branch on Nelson Road for HK$128 (approx US$16.40).

The set consists of the following figures: -

• Quadluun-Rau (TV version).
  • Glaug.
  • VF-1S Hikaru Strike Valk Battroid (DYRL).
  • VF-1A HIkaru Super Valk Battroid (DYRL)
  • VF-1S Focker Strike Valk Battroid (DYRL)
  • VF-1A Max Super Valk battroid (DYRL).
  • VF-1J Max Super Gerwalk (TV).
  • VF-1J Millia Super Gerwalk (TV).

The Battroid figures are basically identical in terms of design and articulation (about 16 points of articulation) to the 2nd Mission figures. The only differences of course are the addition of FAST packs and the different paint schems. The FAST packs are removeable. However, if you remove them it leaves several obvious holes showing in the legs and pegs showing on the battroid's arms.

The Quadluun-Rau, which is the figure I was most looking forward to is disappointing. It is basically a big solid lump of PVC with almost no articulation. In fact only the arms rotate at the sholders, that's it as far as articulation is concerened. My recommendation, wait for the extremely well articulated and detailed Yamato Q-Rau.

The Glaug is impressive (as were the mission 2 Regults). It features about 12 points of articulation and can adopt some neat poses. I think this is my favorite figure of this set. My only complaint is that the barrel of the top gun was slightly bent (Gashapon disease), but this is easily straightened be soaking it in boiling water for a while or heating it with a hair dryer.

The two Gerwalk figures are not too bad. The FAST packs are also removable, but as with the Battroids leave several obvious holes and pegs showing if you do choose to remove them. The Gerwalks have about 8 points of articulation.

Graham

I'm at work now, so can't take any pics, but for those of you who are not familiar with these figures, you can see them on Bandai's site here.

Also, the Q-Rau and Glaug are not in scale with the VF-1 battroid and Gerwalk figures.

A couple of other points: -

The Q-Rau has trouble standing by itself. It comes with a clear plastic support base that you attach to the heal of one foot to help the figure stand.

I'm wondering if the molds for the battroid figures are starting to wear out, as the joints seem significantly looser on these Mission # 3 Battroid figures, compared with the Mission # 2 Battroids. Also, on these Mission # 3 Battroids, I'm having real problems getting the right shoulder to attach to the torso. It's a pesky ball and socket joint and the torso mounted ball, just doesn't want to stay on the shoulder socket.

Don't expect too much from gashapon figures.

Graham