All series q- where/how are you watching?

AngelBird4

I haven't been able to dig up a topic on this, but outside of Amazon (SDF subbed is free, Plus and II for $$) where I can watch a few bits, where are folks able to stream the different series? I've got some episode gaps I want to catch up on. Nothing on CR, hulu (I think they did at one time have SDF and II: Movie?), vrv, etc... so looking for options that hopefully aren't too pricey, but maybe offer a range that I can add to my monthly streaming $$ for not a lot...

Any chance of keeping a running 'first post updated' thread of where we can watch legally? I swear if one already exists then my search fu really sucks.

Thanks for reading.

22 minutes ago, AngelBird4 said:

I haven't been able to dig up a topic on this, but outside of Amazon (SDF subbed is free, Plus and II for $$) where I can watch a few bits, where are folks able to stream the different series?

Well, the reason you haven't found a topic about that probably has a lot to do with the profound lack of legal options... Super Dimension Fortress MacrossMacross II: the Movie, and the Macross Plus OVA are the only titles available through legitimate channels, and everything else has to come through either imported (and largely unsubtitled) DVDs and Blu-ray discs from Japan or extralegal means like torrented fansubs and bootleg streaming sites.

Legally, outside of watching the watered down Americanized (I won't say that R-word) version of the original series on Crackle, Amazon is pretty much the only option.  XBox TV had episodes from Macross II and Macross Plus for a while, but I think that's gone now.  Looking for unauthorized uploads on YouTube is your best legal option, really.

I've got some episode gaps I want to catch up on. Nothing on CR, hulu (I think they did at one time have SDF and II: Movie?), vrv, etc... so looking for options that hopefully aren't too pricey, but maybe offer a range that I can add to my monthly streaming $$ for not a lot...

Yeah, you won't find anything else.

Harmony Gold USA has the license to Super Dimension Fortress Macross and are keeping it bottled up on Amazon Prime while they promote their watered-down Americanized version on Sony's Crackle, Netflix, etc.  Manga Entertainment US has been inactive and in a holding pattern since 2011, and is only just starting to come back to life after being acquired by the Lionsgate Entertainment Group's home video division back in 2017.

Any chance of keeping a running 'first post updated' thread of where we can watch legally? I swear if one already exists then my search fu really sucks.

There really isn't a reason to... new licensing is all kinds of not happening until Harmony Gold's Macross license and associated trademarks expire, which at its earliest will occur on 14 March 2021, and the existing arrangements are not prone to change often.

13 hours ago, JB0 said:

That isn't actually a legal option?

Well, yes... I suppose it would be more accurate to say that it's the option where the viewer isn't potentially criminally culpable the way they would be with by torrenting or paying for a pirate streaming service.

Thank goodness they've started putting official English subs on the Blu-rays so fans don't have to resort to grey or black market means.

Hooray for official english translations. Even if those translations are most assuredly intended solely for the satisfaction  of japanese viewers and not in any way a direct attempt at marketing 100% Pure Macross to western audience *wink* *nudge*.

Wasn't there an english dub of Plus released in Japan "for educational purposes" back in the day?