Gundam Marker problem (Oil super fine)

potatotomato

I'm trying to use the Gundam Marker Oil Based super fine for panel lining but find it difficult to use.

Previously i used the water based but they don't come in super fine tips so it's difficult to use on smaller kits.

I gloss coated the kit, the Excess Oil Based marker doesn't seem be easily cleaned compared to water based where you just use a tissue paper, it dries too soon and i have to used knife to scratch the excess off. Also due to the gloss top coat i have difficulty getting the ink out and have to write on a pieced of paper every now & then just to get the ink flowing.

This pretty much defeat the purpose of getting a Gundam Marker since i can't wipe the excess out easily. The marker is new, not sure if it's old stock or Oil based suppose to be this way, but i have to do touch ups after scratching off the excess.

They have "eraser" type Gundam markers for this purpose. Not sure how well they woukd work for cleaning up panel lines.

Failing that, if the marker is oil-based, you should be able to use a cotton swab dampened with Zippo lighter fluid to clean it up, even after it has dried.

Enamel thinner would also be worth a try, but be careful because using too much on exposed polystyrene will cause the plastic to become brittle and crumble.

Edited by chaff.g

I have the same problem with Sharpies. The top coat or surrounding colors clog the pores of the applicator tip. You're stuck having to accent first and clearcoat later. My oil based metalic markers are the same. They prefer clean plastic since they pick up/melt the finish. Hopefully the Tamiya markers fair better.-MT

If you're using panel line marker GM01 or GM02, try using a plastic eraser. Yes, the same eraser normally used to erase out pencil marks. It's what I always use.

There is also something called Gundam Marker Eraser (GM300). This is simply lacquer thinner in a pen. Very strong stuff.

Edited by Vifam7

If you're using panel line marker GM01 or GM02, try using a plastic eraser. Yes, the same eraser normally used to erase out pencil marks. It's what I always use.

There is also something called Gundam Marker Eraser (GM300). This is simply lacquer thinner in a pen. Very strong stuff.

hi, i tried before posting here, it works on unpainted plastic, but doesn't on painted or top coated surfaces, they dry up almost instantly. the GM300 is more for blending the lines with the paint.