Are the Valkyrie Heads & Armour Swap-able?

VE Telus

My idea of the perfect valkyrie is Yamato's 1/48th VF-1S Hikaru Ichijo. Red stripes with a Jetfire-like head that I really can dig. I'd want one in the 1/60th scale, but obviously none exists, and I now come to you all with this question:

Are the Yamato 1/60 valkyrie heads swap-able? Moreover, is the Strike armour from the 1/60th Strike VF-1S Roy Focker compatible with other valkyries from the line?

I'm thinking of getting the 1/60 VF-1S Strike Roy and the 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru. Swap the heads, and take Roy's strike armour and putting it on Hikaru's, making it a bonified VF-1S Hikaru, in the 1/60th scale.

Before diving into this otherwise expensive venture, I wanted to ask: is this easily doable? Is this a simple task of a screwdriver or does it involve some surgery?

Edited by VE Telus

Well, unfortunately it's not going to be THAT easy. A couple of things stand in your way:

First, the Stike armor will not fit on the Hikaru 1A.

Second, the VF-1S is not the same shade of white as the Hikaru 1A, so some light painting would be in order to match the shade of white as well as painting over the yellow arrows on the head.

It might actually be easier to strip the yellow paint from the Roy Strike and paint it red instead. All that aside, the heads are easily swapped out.

Edited by mister_e

(Runs underneath VE Telus' window and catches the Falling Valk idea and throws it back up)

All you have to do it paint it. The make the custom parts yourself in order to make a strike cannon fit. Simple :) . Or you could even make your own custom Strike Cannon.

Rob MN

My idea of the perfect valkyrie is Yamato's 1/48th VF-1S Hikaru Ichijo. Red stripes with a Jetfire-like head that I really can dig. I'd want one in the 1/60th scale, but obviously none exists, and I now come to you all with this question:

Are the Yamato 1/60 valkyrie heads swap-able? Moreover, is the Strike armour from the 1/60th Strike VF-1S Roy Focker compatible with other valkyries from the line?

I'm thinking of getting the 1/60 VF-1S Strike Roy and the 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru. Swap the heads, and take Roy's strike armour and putting it on Hikaru's, making it a bonified VF-1S Hikaru, in the 1/60th scale.

Before diving into this otherwise expensive venture, I wanted to ask: is this easily doable? Is this a simple task of a screwdriver or does it involve some surgery?

Hey , what a coincidence!

I was planning to do the exact same thing just that I was going to do this with the 1/48 hoping I would end up with a Roy 1A and a Hikaru 1S , unfortunatelly I haven´t gathered enough founds to do such projects (Christmas budget prastically vaporised when the family present list appeared :lol: <_< ) and I´m currently planning on buying a Low-vis ( don´t know when cause , as I said , god hasen´t been gracious with my wallet :rolleyes: ....and yes I know I´m and idiot for buying one now ..that´s it , if I can ).

Question: Is this easily doable with the Bandai versions of the same? Swap the head, get the Super armour onto the VF-1A ...

... I can't believe this didn't occur to me before! How are the heads and super armour assembled on the Bandai 1/55 versions?

Yes, this is more easily doable. The Bandai armor just uses a clip-on system and the armor can fit any valk. The real trick is going to be trying to find the Strike armor. It is easy enough to get ahold of the Super armor, however, by buying one of the Super VF-1S reissues. The Strike 1S was never reissued unfortunately. I bet there's someone on these boards that could help you find the Strike armor or a decent recast at least. If you're willing to do a little painting, all you really need is the Strike cannon and you can repaint it to match the Super armor or vice versa. Might want to try the "Sell, Trade and Buy Macross" section of the forums.

Question: Is this easily doable with the Bandai versions of the same? Swap the head, get the Super armour onto the VF-1A ...

... I can't believe this didn't occur to me before! How are the heads and super armour assembled on the Bandai 1/55 versions?

The 1/55 heads are only attached by a screw and spring which can be accessed with a small screwdriver without any dissassembly.

As was mentioned above, a recast strike cannon and some painting to match the armor is easy enough. Monkey Nugget used to sell great recast strike cannons w/ the booster on his site. Not sure if he still does.

That's alright. Strike or super armour makes no difference to me (I know, blasphemy!), but as long as the battroid's got something behind its back, I'm satisfied.

So, to sum up, if I were to get the Bandai 1/55 Super VF-1S Roy and the 1/55 VF-1A Hikaru, I can swap the head and armour from the VF-1S onto the VF-1A and create, with ease, a Super VF-1S Hikaru? Like the 1/48th version by Yamato?

Can anyone confirm? This will set me back some $200 CAD, I want to know it's definitely (and easily) doable before I pursue it. Just some screwdriver work, right?

Yep, it's pretty much that easy.

One last thing. This may or may not be a big deal to you, but the Bandai reissues have most of the details painted on instead of using stickers. This means the Hikaru 1A is going to have "011" already painted on the right wing and on the fuselage. Hikaru's 1S should technically have "001" instead of "011". Like I said, this may or may not be a big deal to you, I just wanted to let you know before you bought everything :).