Wave 1:100 VF-1A Build thread

AndrewDrexler

Well I dove into my first Macross kit this evening, a Wave 1:100 VF-1A that I ordered from HLJ on the suggestion of a forum member. The kit was very nice all things considered. I am a little disappointed in the decals offered (it looks like I am going to have to print some up to finish this VF up) but that is really a minor thing. Instructions were surprising clear for being in Japanese. While I did have to refer to the diagrams a few times, they were VERY clear and concise. There is the option to build this kit in the Gerawalk mode with the addition of another kit, I chose to build this in Jet mode only.

Build time is about 2 leisurely hours, but a second kit or familiarity with the subject would cut that in half. I probably have about 6-7 hours total in the kit at this point, and its about half way. There are some funky panel lines that need correction and some touch up paint work. The preshading did not show up at all due to my shading color being too close to the bas color. Perhaps a wash or a slight dusting of a lighter color will work.

Overall this has been a pleasure to build and paint. For a few evenings work total it is a nice little kit that can serve as a paint scheme or technique practice model without breaking the bank OR making you feel so invested you cant turn back.

And now, a few WIP pictures to break up the wall of text. The second one is a little blurry, but the auto focus could not decide what it wanted to focus on.

vt1_zps2e3db996.jpg

vt2_zps519ffbd1.jpg

Not a problem, this forum has inspired me in many ways. I did not get much time to work on it over the weekend, but I did mist in a lighter shade of grey that adds in SOME contrast. My air brush was not cooperating but it definitely looks less mono-chromatic now. I should have some time after work tonight to do some work on it. If things go well I will post some more pictures later.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow my modeling time has evaporated since I started this kit. I had some free time to work on it today, and am up to the gloss sealing stage. Next up is Decals and some weathering.

1a_zpsc21e7e24.jpg

1_zps6db5b27e.jpg

The canopy is just sitting in place so I can work on the pilot some more (its still too sloppy for my tastes).