Something interesting...

mbs357

A few weeks ago, in my English class, we had a look at an excerpt from the Epic of Gilgamesh, a Mesopotamian epic dated 2500 B.C.. I just happened to notice that on one page were shown a list of characters and information about them. One was Ishtar. It said "Goddess of love, fertility, and war, as well as patron of the city of Uruk, where she had an important temple; falls in love with Gilgamesh but is spurned by him."

This seems to be alot more than a coincedence. O_O

Uruk could be Macross City, and said temple could be the Macross itself (aka Alus). The relationship described between her and Gilgamesh seems to refelct her relationship with Hibiki rather well. However, Gilgamesh's describtion doesn't seem to match Hibiki: "King of Uruk and the hero of the epic; son of the goddess Ninsun and the mortal King Lugulbanda; named in a Sumerian list of kings as the fifth monarch after the flood."

Hibiki is certainly the hero of Macross II (if I recall), but he is no son of a king and a goddess, nor is he a king himself.

Also, I heard mention in another thread that the Marduk's mecha was named Gilgamesh.

What's everyone elses thoughts?

I did a search for 'Gilgamesh' on the boards...hopefully this wasn't brought up on the last ones.

Edited by mbs357

Gilgamesh was the name of Feff's mecha. Now think of it this way: even though there's an affectionate relationship between Hibiki and Ishtar, ultimately Ishtar winds up with Feff. And, Feff is a Marduk commander who turns out to be one of the good guys.

Marduk is also the name of a Babylonian god. Quick google search turns up this:

http://www.themystica.org/mythical-folk/ar...les/marduk.html

I doubt there really was any attempt to use the plot of the Epic of Gilgamesh in constructing Macross II. I think they just used the names because they sounded cool, and maybe as a way of hinting that the aliens had a connection to Earth's distant past.