HK Gunbuster Easter-egg

Red96TA

The Hong Kong DVD bootleg is a direct rip of the original Japanese laserdiscs. These commercials were on the laserdiscs also. If you've noticed, most of the items advertised were for Bandai products, as Bandai provided the main financial support for the creation of the series. I'm also sure that most of the items shown were bogus, but I could be wrong.

It's really not an easter egg, but another elaborate in-joke of sorts that Gainax loved to put into this series. Gunbuster is full of them.

Ah yes, the commercials for Little Lady Club (a series of dolls), and Ichi Nitto San (a knitting machine... and an AWFUL pun). That's one thing about Gunbuster I always thought was odd. Commercials of any kind in the middle of an OVA, as far as I know, were never done before or after Gunbuster. Eyecatches, sure. Commercials? No.

But in the end, I just chalked it up as yet another case of Gainax being weird :lol:

BTW, on my LDs, only volume 1 has these commercials. And they were taken out for the laserdisc boxed set.

Are there any releases that had more of them (either on the bootlegs or the R2 DVDs)?