New to the World of Macross

Evilware

Hi to all,

This is my first post and I would like to thank the creators of this site for giving us the chance of learning from others. I just bought my first Valkirie the Perfect Trance VF-1j Ichijyou Hikaru with parts. I hope it is more that I expect from it. I have read a lot from other sites as well as from here about the Shoulders issue from these models. (I hope it is not mine) However, I was looking for replacement parts if that is the case. I see it is kind of hard and many other have the same difficulties. Suddenly, it crossed my browsing a site that talked about 3d printing and I said "Mmm that looks interesting" This could be the salvation for many of us who are having this issue ( I do not know yet, but just in case)

What do you think? I just read a post from one of you giving details of a project, where he wants to make an invid model. He has some part ready for printing. Perhaps he or somebody with Auto CAD knowledge could help us and digitalize the part and we could but form a 3d printing site. I have no idea of the prices but I am sure they could make them cheaper if many of us buy them as a group. What do you think?

By the way this is the one I bought. http://tinyurl.com/7weo344

Regards to all and have a great New Year!!!

3D printing can get them done, but just so you know, the materials that those printers use, isn't as durable as the plastics Yamato uses. The printing, or "growing" process, is usually used for Prototyping, or at most, items that won't need too much usage, or movement, like statues and static parts. My suggestion, if you're really worried about it, would be to recast the part in a Tasc aluminum based resin. When it cures, it's light, but very, very hard. The drawback is that the parts are a metallic grey. There maybe some other Tasc resin that's not as hard, but will cure in a white color. It's all about tolerances, but I wouldn't necessarily trust a 3D part on a high moving part like that. The other option, is to buy one of the unassembled kits if they're still around, and keep it for extra parts. That's if you have the expendable income.

Thanks for the answer. I was also thinking on reinforcing the piece with a metal plate or something like that. From what I have heard the plastic does not resist the metal pin, which I read can be replaced by a portion of a thick paper clip that are similar in size but not as thick to force the plastic too much. I would like to have other alternatives before seeing it break. Thanks a lot!!

It's the tips of the rounded edge of the connection that seems to break most often, but I've heard people sanding down the knurled heads of the pins, so that maybe an option. I don't know if that's been verified to work, but you can also try that. Also, you can try popping off the shoulder cover (they are held only by friction), and loosening the two screws there just a bit, which will help ease tension when positioning the arm. That isn't a perfect fix, just something that may increase the chance of not breaking. BTW, welcome to the boards. This is more of an issue that can be found in the toy section, but I see where you were going with the request for someone to design a replacement. There maybe other fixes, or suggestions under the "What's wrong with my Yamato/Bandai" thread.

At last, after waiting 15 days my VF-1j arrived. I opened it and.... I am scared of touching it!! It looks so cool! This is my first time with one of these. Before, I had a Chinese version that cost me like 5 bucks. Those version rocks..but as I said... I am just scared of breaking the part. The infamous shoulder issue.

I would like to know if our friend EXO tried the design he sent to be built at the 3 d printer and how much it cost him. I hope he reads this post! ;)

Regards,

Noooooo, I opened it and the hinges were broken..both of them! I bought it through Amazon.. What do you suggest me to do guys, any advice? Ggrrrrr. The arms get loose but other than that the figure is impressive.

Edited by Evilware

Noooooo, I opened it and the hinges were broken..both of them! I bought it through Amazon.. What do you suggest me to do guys, any advice? Ggrrrrr. The arms get loose but other than that the figure is impressive.

See if you can return it. If both arms are broken, they might have some sort of return policy. I bought mine a long time ago, and never had any breakage issues (finger's crossed). Buying one of the grey goggle ones might be your best chance at getting a fixed version.

Jasonc, have you gotten anything through over-drive-inc.com ? It looks they are cheaper and they also offer replacement parts for broken Yamato parts. I do not know how updated the site is but looks good..may be too good to be true. Thanks for your advice.

Jasonc, have you gotten anything through over-drive-inc.com ? It looks they are cheaper and they also offer replacement parts for broken Yamato parts. I do not know how updated the site is but looks good..may be too good to be true. Thanks for your advice.

They don't offer replacement parts anymore. Also, as EXO said, they don't get back to anyone, and are pretty much done. Their customer service is horrible, and they've ripped off a member here. They used to be great, but I wouldn't go near there with a ten foot pole.

They don't offer replacement parts anymore. Also, as EXO said, they don't get back to anyone, and are pretty much done. Their customer service is horrible, and they've ripped off a member here. They used to be great, but I wouldn't go near there with a ten foot pole.

Ahhh haa.. As I said..Too good to be true.. They looked kind of outofdate. Thank you so much guys for the heads up!!