1/72 VF-25g

Archer

Hi everyone,

I have been scouring the net to try and find pictures of really well done 1/72 vf-25g's that have been painted. It seems like everyone

has just been doing Alto's and Ozma's, so I was wondering if any of you guys have found good examples of a well made VF-25g?

sorry if this is in the wrong section.....

Thanks

(this is just to get a feel and idea for how I should paint mine if any of you were wondering)

I am sure I asked this question before but cannot find the old thread. I would like to make sure I am doing things right: When I apply decals with Mr. Mark Setter, the solution softens the film and some wrinkles appear, should I try to flaten the decal with a cotton swab or just leave it alone and it will all magically conform when dry?

I remember last time I used it I had quite a hard time trying to keep the decals flat on the model after using Mr. Mark Setter, and I think I heard somewhere it was all unnecessary.

I also read somewhere that Bandai decals don't really need any of this, but frankly speaking, there are these verniers on my VF-25 right under a decal and I cannot imagine how it will look without some of the solution to soften and stick the decal.

I am sure I asked this question before but cannot find the old thread. I would like to make sure I am doing things right: When I apply decals with Mr. Mark Setter, the solution softens the film and some wrinkles appear, should I try to flaten the decal with a cotton swab or just leave it alone and it will all magically conform when dry?

I remember last time I used it I had quite a hard time trying to keep the decals flat on the model after using Mr. Mark Setter, and I think I heard somewhere it was all unnecessary.

I also read somewhere that Bandai decals don't really need any of this, but frankly speaking, there are these verniers on my VF-25 right under a decal and I cannot imagine how it will look without some of the solution to soften and stick the decal.

Yep, leave it alone. I usually let mine sit overnight before fiddling with them again. If you mess with them while they're still damp, you WILL tear them!

Mr Mark Setter is used to help the decal fix to the surface. If you want it to conform you have to use Mr Mark Softener. They are two different products and yes DO NOT attempt to move the decal once you have applied the softener or you'll end up with a blob of goo, as the softener tends to dissolve the decal to make it conform.

I've just recently started using Bandai decals and they are completely different to any other decal I've come across. They are extremely fragile compared to say Hasegawa and don't seem to like being moved around once applied. I think that's where the Setter helps but I'm not sure as I've never used setter only softener.

I did use Mr. Mark Setter on Bandai decals before and it does help soften decals as well as fixing them to the surface (unpainted plastic). I apply a small amount of the liquid on the model before applying the decal and if needed (say on the vernier) I apply some pressure with a cotton swab. Problem is sometimes wrinkles develp and I am affraid it will dry like that, so I flatten the decal until it comforms, Mr. Mark Setter does not dissolve Bandai decals, it only softens them and "glues" them better. When completely dry the decals do grab on the surface very well, but if you tranform the model, you still rub some flakes off.

I just don't know if all the flattening with a cotton swab is really necessary. I don't think I will use softener because the setter makes the bandai decals comform quite well.

I had good luck with both. But the softer stuff is tricky. For the Bandai decals, if you apply it and wait too long, and it's still wet after a few minutes, it almost always disolved the decal and left a nasty mark. I found that if I wet the decal with softer (It's actually engrishised and called "Mr Mark Softer" not softener, which is what it really does) enough so that it was starting to look like the decal had "dried" after about a minute, that was enough. I used a paint brush though - too much solution, just soak it up with the brush. Not enough, dab on some more. It took some practice but I managed to get mine to sink in fairly well. The verniers were a pig though, every time!